What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott Forstall’s Departure Could Mean iOS Redesign by Jony Ive

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Podcasts_app.JPG

Phone Arena reports today that according to a new story in the New York Times, Scott Forstall’s newly announced departure from Apple could signal a wholesale redesign of iOS by Jony Ive. The Times says that Scott Forstall was a big proponent of skeuomorphism design, such as using faux linen backgrounds, and a reel-to-reel tape recorder for the Podcasts app. The Times says that this was an approach much favoured by Steve Jobs, as well as Forstall. The Times says that now Jony Ive will be able to do away with what it seems to be saying is an old-fashioned approach, and re-invent iOS. While this is exciting news, if true, in one sense, as Jony Ive is of course an amazing designer, but you didn’t hear many people complaining about iOS design until now, in fact I remember many saying how cool the tape deck idea was, so it seems a little unfair to suddenly be saying that Forstall’s approach to design was behind the times.

Source: NYT confirms Apple lost Forstall to move forward with an iOS design overhaul

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if Microsoft is redesigning Windows with Windows 8 why not redesign iOS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iJamesH said:

Window 8 is kinda sucky.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone think Scott Forstalls departure would see an improvement in iOS 7 perhaps?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it is time for a redesign of iOS. I welcome this because people like things to change.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd welcome a redesign of iOS, it would be nice to change and maybe they can put a few jailbreak tweaks into iOS as well

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iJamesH said:

I don't think iOS needs any major tweaking at this point. It's pretty slick and reliable. It does what I want it to and responds to my taps and clicks very nicely. They can't go mucking that up. Isn't the ease of use and smoothness a big apple selling point?

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think iOS needs any major tweaking at this point. It's pretty slick and reliable. It does what I want it to and responds to my taps and clicks very nicely. They can't go mucking that up. Isn't the ease of use and smoothness a big apple selling point?

Sure but if it means offering new features with the ease of the current ios I'm all for a redesign.

bih85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's time to redesign iOS. Widgets would be a nice add on. You can't have the same OS for years and years.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see where iOS 7 goes, only time will tell

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bih85 said:
I think it's time to redesign iOS. Widgets would be a nice add on. You can't have the same OS for years and years.

No, it can't stay the same forever but the basic usage and workflows should stay the same when those are accepted and enjoyed by a vast majority of users. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Some tweaks and feature additions are one thing but a total redo? Not a good idea, IMO.

Most reactions

Latest posts