What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SciFi Discussion Lobby

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Recently a fellow iPF member wondered if a thread on everything "science fiction" would be
entertaining.

Well, nothing ventured ......

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of all formats of science fiction. Books (novels, short stories, graphic novels) movies, television shows, all medium.

Fantasy and horror fiction can be discussed here too.

Use of illustrations, images, screen caps, any form of visual media, is permitted, if it enhances the discussion. No image that is not yours, can be posted without proper credit or attribution. It is up to you to determine if the image can be shared in a public forum legally, and what credit is required including a supporting link
to the image.

Any image that doesn't meet posting criteria will be removed immediately.

As a courtesy to fellow iPF members, when discussing recent release books, movies or television programs (in current season) please use the SPOILER ALERT if you plan to give something away.

And above all .... Have fun. :)

Feel free to be the kick off poster.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Later this month i'll be going to Chicon 7, the 70th world science fiction convention which will be taking place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Chicago,Illinois from August 30th- September 3rd. This is where the Hugo awards are given out for outstanding achievement in science fiction. I've been going for the last 14 years and have enjoyed it immensely. You can meet your favourite authors and fellow fans from around the world. The convention is in a different city every year and I've enjoyed the travel to such distant countries as Japan,Australia and Scotland.
Here's their website.
http://www.chicon.org/

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Is this event less commercialized than ComicCon?

AA

Oh yes. This convention is run entirely by volunteers for the benefit of its members. There is a great dealers room as well as excellent programming. ComicCon is run to make as much money as possible for the benefit of the organizers. The financial goal of the Worldcon is to break even with maybe a small profit which is used to benefit local science fiction groups and sometimes passed on to upcoming Worldcons.
Where ComicCon can have well over 100,000 people,a typical Worldcon will have 5-6,000 people in attendance,making it much easier to attend popular panels and presentations.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a great thread, AA!

My favorite Scifi show when I was a kid was Logan's Run. Really loved that show!

Scifan...you have gone to a lot of really nice places abroad for these conventions! Lucky you!! :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw my tuppence in here.....

I love SciFi and Horror and Fantasy.......

Favourite authors....

SF - Arthur C Clarke
Horror - James Herbert
Fantasy - JRR Tolkien (but I'm also a huge fan of Clive Barker)

During the Olympics the BBC has been trailing a new series for the autumn schedules, an adaptation of James Herbert's The Secret Of Crickley Hall......I just can't wait!!

I'd be interested to see people's ideas of best SF movies, I have quite a few on Blu Ray and DVD but I'm sure I must be missing something really good.

Oh......and favourite SF TV series.....Star Trek!

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll chuck these into the mix, to be going on with. Not an exhaustive list, by any means;

Books: 2001 (of course); Dune; Lord of the Rings
Authors: Arthur C Clarke; Ursula le Guin; E.E. "Doc" Smith; Chrichton; Heinlein; Silverberg; Wyndham; Jules Verne; HG Wells
Movies: 2001 (again); Apollo 13; Matrix; LotR; Jurassic Park; The Andromeda Strain

I'll go through my DVDs and BDs, Gabe, and post some titles in this thread. Our tastes seem scarily similar, so you never know.

btw, AA. Great idea to get this thread going. We could wind up with the go-to list for recommendations for the genre.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One program I miss on television is "FireFly".
As is so often the case, this well written, superbly cast show was scheduled haphazardly by the television network. It was impossible for it to find an audience - especially after some episodes were shown out of sequence.

AA

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
One program I miss on television is "FireFly".
As is so often the case, this well written, superbly cast show was scheduled haphazardly by the television network. It was impossible for it to find an audience - especially after some episodes were shown out of sequence.

AA

I have the box set (and the movie) on DVD, I got it at the same time as another great series, Carnival, if only there were more series of this as well (I think it fits into the genre but not entirely sure where!).

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I've wondered about for years is how HG Wells got away with having all of the Martian landing sites in England, in War of the Worlds.

I don't think any later authors would have been quite so audacious.

But anyway, the reason for mentioning said book is to give me a chance to mention music inspired by SF. Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds was, and remains, one of my favorites, and Mike Oldfield's work "The Songs of Distant Earth" contains some quite beautiful passages.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
One thing I've wondered about for years is how HG Wells got away with having all of the Martian landing sites in England, in War of the Worlds.

But anyway, the reason for mentioning said book is to give me a chance to mention music inspired by SF. Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds was, and remains, one of my favorites, and Mike Oldfield's work "The Songs of Distant Earth" contains some quite beautiful passages.

It makes sense that they would land here, we would offer them tea and sandwiches.........

The Archangel

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
What a great thread, AA!

My favorite Scifi show when I was a kid was Logan's Run. Really loved that show!

Scifan...you have gone to a lot of really nice places abroad for these conventions! Lucky you!! :)

Gabriel will be interested to know that in 2014, the convention will almost certainly be in London.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
KevinJS said:

The other Wells made up for it in the radio and first TV rendition. Ground Zero was New Jersey.
So was the Spielberg re-boot (which I enjoyed).
The character Harlan Ogilvy played by Tim Robbins, was a gem.

AA

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I have the box set (and the movie) on DVD, I got it at the same time as another great series, Carnival, if only there were more series of this as well (I think it fits into the genre but not entirely sure where!).

The Archangel

That's cool that you mentioned "Carnivale." Another show that suffered an early demise. A talented cast. My favourites include Clancy Brown who was in the first "Highlander" movie, Clea DuVall, presently in "American Horror Story" and Nick Stahl. Stahl portrayed John Connor in the 3rd installment of the "Terminator" movie series. I thought he did a great job opposite Clare Danes and nicely expanded the reluctant hero trait of his character.

BTW - I did purchase the "FireFly" box set. Saw the movie conclusion of the series titled "Serenity" in the cinema and purchased the DVD when it became available.
I liked the wild west theme of the show and the use of Mandarin Chinese in the dialogue. I've remembered a few choice phrases for when I feel the need to hurl an expletive at work. ;)

Adam Baldwin who played the character "Jayne Cobb" was strong in FireFly. He was a featured guest at the Ottawa ComicCon earlier this year.

Check out the "Carnivale" trailer below if you haven't seen the series.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions