What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving drafts

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently composed an email which I need to send within a couple of weeks time so I saved it as a draft. No problem there, other than today when I needed to reply to an email I had just received. I was in the middle of doing so when I realised that I couldn't remember a certain telephone number so I again saved the draft. To my horror, the draft which I was going to send within the next two weeks was deleted :(
My question is, does the native email app only allow one draft at a time to be saved? If not, what did I do wrong as I do not want this to happen again if I have a couple of drafts I need to save.
Best regards,
Mike

I have just gone back into the app and the deleted draft has just miraculously reappeared. Obviously, I wrote this in haste, apologies :)

Last edited:
OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Correction to the above, folks.
Because the original draft was 'deleted', I composed a new email which I want to send at a later date. When I checked the drafts folder again, both drafts were the same! My original draft had not reappeared at all, just duplicate drafts of the latest email. Now, totally confused, but I am sure there is an answer somewhere.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well this is strange! The email app will save many email drafts not just 1. It's also unusual that one email was duplicated.....just don't know why.

Could it be that you have more than 1 email account...... The first draft you saved could have been saved under 1 email account.......the second one in which you were replying to an email could have been sent to another email address and therefore would be saved under Drafts in that email account. I hope you're following me here.... ;)

But you can find all your drafts regardless of which email account they have been saved in by going to the email app and press and hold the icon which would normally bring up a new message (the one which looks like a sheet of paper with a pencil across it). This will then bring up a list of any saved Drafts you have across all accounts.

image-1793844315.jpg

I hope this is it, if not try the usual fixes ie.....closing the mail app completely and relaunch it....if still no joy, try a reset and let us know how you go.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Double-barrelled advice, but the former unfortunately nowhere near as elegant with those great Skitches lol
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Double-barrelled advice, but the former unfortunately nowhere near as elegant with those great Skitches lol Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Lol.....just one of those things!

And that's my excuse for coming in late.....I was busy doing a Skitch! ;)

Thanks!!

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guys,
Thank you one and all. Very useful information which I will put to good use in the future. Always something new to learn on here and I have just tried the quick access to drafts out. Great stuff!
Still a mystery what happened but now I am aware I shall be careful I have no doubt I have done something to cause it but what, I do not know.
Mike

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well this is strange! The email app will save many email drafts not just 1. It's also unusual that one email was duplicated.....just don't know why.

Could it be that you have more than 1 email account...... The first draft you saved could have been saved under 1 email account.......the second one in which you were replying to an email could have been sent to another email address and therefore would be saved under Drafts in that email account. I hope you're following me here.... ;)

But you can find all your drafts regardless of which email account they have been saved in by going to the email app and press and hold the icon which would normally bring up a new message (the one which looks like a sheet of paper with a pencil across it). This will then bring up a list of any saved Drafts you have across all accounts.

View attachment 56313

I hope this is it, if not try the usual fixes ie.....closing the mail app completely and relaunch it....if still no joy, try a reset and let us know how you go.

Hi leelai,

Thank you but the draft was created and saved to one email account although I do have four on the iPad but I know where you are coming from. As for the info, fantastic! You learn something new on here all the time.
I know I can always count on you guys.
:)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have to be quicker on the trigger next time, leelai :D Andrew's a bit of a Billy the Kid by the look of it. Mike

Lol.....he sure is quick! ;)

So you did try closing the app etc? There's got to be a reason for it but there does seem to be a lot of reports about this particular issue.

Try a search of your emails......use words associated only with that particular draft if you can remember any....they've been known to turn up in the strangest of places and even different dates for some reason.

Also check your email account to make sure that drafts go to the Draft folder.....if it's an IMAP account it should be under Advanced Settings.
Tap your Draft folder and make sure it's saved 'On the Server' rather than 'On My IPad'

That's all I got, hope it helps Mike! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that if the emails you were replying too were received from different accounts, your replies (drafts) would also be saved in different accounts. You might have to go to each account draft folder separately (which I'm sure you tried); though that should not be necessary.

That said, those draft folders are (probably) on the provider's server, not the iPad; so be sure to look for problems (and the missing draft) using any webmail site they provide.

Good luck.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hold in mind that if the emails you were replying too were received from different accounts, your replies (drafts) would also be saved in different accounts. You might have to go to each account draft folder separately (which I'm sure you tried); though that should not be necessary.

That said, those draft folders are (probably) on the provider's server, not the iPad; so be sure to look for problems (and the missing draft) using any webmail site they provide.

Good luck.

Thanks TP, it was just one account but it is something to bear in mind for the future.
Hope you are keeping well.
Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts