What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAN Browsing App? View movies from network drive

apuljain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to use my 1TB NAS drive on wifi network to watch movies or use it as extra storage on my iPad.

My first day with iPad so ignore my lack of knowledge.

Thanks

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Air Video app will let you play the movies on your NAS via any computer attached to your network running Air Video's server software. Playing directly from your NAS with no computer is problematical as you need more CPU power for conversion than a current NAS has. Air Video converts on the fly, so no pre conversion is necessary.

The File Browser app will let you access network files on your iPad either on your local network or via the Web. If your movies are already converted to a form that the iPad recognizes (which they probably aren't), you can play them directly from your NAS with File Browser. See
How To: Stream Video to iPad From Network Drive Without a Computer | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

OP
A

apuljain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watching videos on the move..without converting

Thnaks Bunt, while air video works perfectly. And it makes full use of the NAS but the latop should also be working which is ok for now.

I was hoping if there is a way to put some files on ipad and then run them without converting as converting takes a lot of time..For on the move..

Another query is:

I dont know if i shoudl ask this in a seperate thread..is there any way to extend the memory for the device..I have heard that the camera converot or card reader can be attached to sync photos, cant that be used as a seperate memory through which we can read and use files..

Thanks,
Apul

pantaleoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apuljain said:
Is there any way to use my 1TB NAS drive on wifi network to watch movies or use it as extra storage on my iPad.

Thanks

The application you need is Buzz Player HD. You can connect to your NAS using FTP or Samba and can play many formats, including some that are not natively playable by the iPad. You can download a file to play it later, or play it streaming from the nas. I use it with a Qnap NAS and it works quite well. You don't need any computer nor any server program to run on the nas, just enable ftp or samba protocols. It's not free but it's worth the cost (I'm a user, no relationship with the developer!)

OP
A

apuljain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apuljain said:

Thanks

The application you need is Buzz Player HD. You can connect to your NAS using FTP or Samba and can play many formats, including some that are not natively playable by the iPad. You can download a file to play it later, or play it streaming from the nas. I use it with a Qnap NAS and it works quite well. You don't need any computer nor any server program to run on the nas, just enable ftp or samba protocols. It's not free but it's worth the cost (I'm a user, no relationship with the developer!)

Thanks Pantaleoc, will surely try this, and confirm usability.

Any thoughts on the the attchment of a extra memory card, i have the 16GB ipad and now it looks like that the memory might not be enough. :(

Apul

pantaleoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apuljain said:
Thanks Pantaleoc, will surely try this, and confirm usability.

Any thoughts on the the attchment of a extra memory card, i have the 16GB ipad and now it looks like that the memory might not be enough. :(

Apul

No idea, I have a 64gb iPad and yet no memory problems. I don't think there is the possibility just to expand the memory, but accessories exist to be able to read from sd cards or usb flash cards. I have no direct experience so can't help there.

Most reactions