What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samsung’s Galaxy Tab To Cost Nearly $1000!!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Hands up who saw this coming? It seems from various reports that Samsung’s Galaxy Tab will not be priced at all competitively against the iPad, in fact it looks like the Galaxy Tab P1000, unlocked and SIM-free, will be retailing for around £600/$920! At that sort of price, can Samsung realistically expect the Galaxy to be an iPad killer?

Pocket Gamer has a good summary of the story, saying that it makes sense that the Galaxy will cost approximately £200 more than the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad, as it boasts two cameras, Flash support and MicroSD expansion capability, as well as being much lighter than the iPad, but even taking all that into account, it just doesn’t have the cache of an iPad, and that’s before we’ve started talking about all the Apple software and apps. Everyone knows the excitement caused when they show friends their iPad, but will whipping out your Samsung Galaxy cause the same wonderment? Probably not!

Source: Pocket Gamer via SlashGear

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, the 32GB 3G iPad is $729. "Nearly $1000" is not that much more. If it brings additional features, people may consider it worth the price. We will see. The biggest issue for me would be going to a smaller screen.

I didnt buy my iPad to impress my friends, so I dont care how people react.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smaller screen, check. Slow SD memory and no SSD, check. Android OS and all the headaches that come with that, check. No market, check. $300 more...yea this should be a real winner.

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
I love my iPad, but I'm interested in the Tab because of the tight integration with Google services, front and rear cameras and it is unlocked.

Problems with Android? Spoken like a true Apple fanboy. I love my Droid Incredible phone and have ZERO problems with Android.

I bet if Apple offered an unlocked iPad it would cost more than $1,000

Talis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bet if Apple offered an unlocked iPad it would cost more than $1,000

They do in fact have unlocked iPads in a number of countries, including the UK. Converting the prices of those back to dollars, only the 64GB 3G is over $1,000.

BeIIerophon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smaller screen, check. Slow SD memory and no SSD, check. Android OS and all the headaches that come with that, check. No market, check. $300 more...yea this should be a real winner.
Smaller screen - same resolution (well in 16:9 format) - same desktop surface.

Slow SD memory - Galaxy comes with either 16 or 32GB of internal storage. Probably almost or even the same specs as iPads. We'll know when we see it's guts. SD slot is welcome since, documents, media, etc. can be stored on SD cards. U don't need some extra fast memory (plus, new generation SD cards are pretty fast).

Android OS. Well, to be honest, iOS 3.2.2 isn't that good also. Frequent crashes of apps sometimes makes me wanna throw my iPad against the wall. Bunch of stupid limitations. And it's a fu***ing nightmare to find a good app in store among all the crap that's up there. I probably spent around 30$ (versus 50$ for good - u can do the P&P math out of that) for IMO BS apps that didn't deliver what was promised in description. So, as it goes for OS, both iPad and Galaxy, are somewhere on the same level.

300$ more - well, i can only hope Samsung realizes it's mistake and makes it more affordable. Plus i believe once it really hits the market the price will come down to more sain level.

Sometimes it helps to be objective. Since u are not buying brand's name, but a gadget.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad was well over $1000, so no real issue there in my mind.

Personally, I wouldn't want the smaller screen & couldn't care less about cameras.

Still, competition is good.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a 7" tablet from a reputable supplier will tick all the boxes for a lot of people and should do well, but if they price it in iPad territory or higher I think it'll struggle, and relying on carrier subsidies seems to be an uncomfortable area for tablet buyers - just look at how the Dell Streak has failed to set the world alight...

Let's not forget that the iPad was widely touted as being around the $800-$1000 mark by all kinds of 'experts', analysts and pundits before Steve Jobs dropped the $499 bombshell back in April. I'm sure Samsung will pitch the Galaxy at whatever price they feel it'll do best at, when it becomes available.

Cheers, Pete

Most reactions