What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salgado

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As of today - there is no known virus for the iPad. So, you don't need any sort of virus protection for it.

And - keep your fingers crossed this remains true for a long, long, time!

Marilyn

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your best antivirus is the actual operating system because IOS is virus free.

If your iPad is Jailboken then this could - repeat - could open it up for possible virus infection from "other" apps

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best antivirus is the actual operating system because IOS is virus free.

If your iPad is Jailboken then this could - repeat - could open it up for possible virus infection from "other" apps

But again to be clear, there are NO known jailbreak apps with any infectious payload in the wild. The community simply would not tollerate them and would provide immunisation to all jailbreakers as soon as a potential threat was identified...

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But again to be clear, there are NO known jailbreak apps with any infectious payload in the wild. The community simply would not tollerate them and would provide immunisation to all jailbreakers as soon as a potential threat was identified...

I agree but whereas IOS is "protection" BEFORE the event, Jailbroken apps protection is AFTER the event.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree but whereas IOS is "protection" BEFORE the event, Jailbroken apps protection is AFTER the event.

I too agree :), but it's not an absolute truth to say that all IOS protection is before the event. Significant known exploitable code exists in all current versions of stock IOS (5.1.1), and many previous ones too. These are the very same userland exploits which are used to jailbreak the device. They could equally well be used by any malicious code writer since all the exploits are freely available and fully documented in the public domain. I'm not saying those exploits would be easy to use maliciously, but I can conceive of scenarios where it is possible.

Similarly, malicious jailbreak apps (not that any exist to my knowledge) are / would be difficult to get into the public domain to a large number of owners. There is probably just as much chance of a malicious app store app getting through the Apple approval process, and that is a far more enticing target for a truly malicious h4x0r.

There is no right or wrong answer in this debate, but I do always push back against the misguided generalisation that jailbreaking IOS somehow makes it significantly more likely that a user is exposed to viruses or malicious attacks by default... there is simply no evidence to support it, and I've been passionately jailbreaking Apple devices for over 5 years now. During that time there have been, if I recall correctly, just 2 potential "virus like" threats to IOS, one specific to jailbreaking which was never anything more than a proof of concept, and another which was valid to both stock and jailbroken devices (using the Safari PDF font exploit). But no malicious code was ever discovered in the public domain relating to either of these as far as I can remember, and the jailbreak community patched the second exploit in less than 24 hours, with Apple following suit on stock devices another 24 hours later ;)
Yes, if jailbreakers do silly things like enable SSH, fail to change the password from the default, connect to a public wifi network with an unsecured router, and have the very bad luck to encounter a malicious user on the same network who is specifically looking for folks like them, then potentially they could get into trouble. But that same malicious user is probably doing much more interesting malicious things on the network like trying to intercept unsecured data from EVERYONE on the network, rather than looking for a careless iDevice jailbreaker :)

With a little bit of care, common sense, and research, both stock and jailbroken iDevice owners should be equally secure in my own humble opinion :)

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too agree :), but it's not an absolute truth to say that all IOS protection is before the event. Significant known exploitable code exists in all current versions of stock IOS (5.1.1), and many previous ones too. These are the very same userland exploits which are used to jailbreak the device. They could equally well be used by any malicious code writer since all the exploits are freely available and fully documented in the public domain. I'm not saying those exploits would be easy to use maliciously, but I can conceive of scenarios where it is possible.

Similarly, malicious jailbreak apps (not that any exist to my knowledge) are / would be difficult to get into the public domain to a large number of owners. There is probably just as much chance of a malicious app store app getting through the Apple approval process, and that is a far more enticing target for a truly malicious h4x0r.

There is no right or wrong answer in this debate, but I do always push back against the misguided generalisation that jailbreaking IOS somehow makes it significantly more likely that a user is exposed to viruses or malicious attacks by default... there is simply no evidence to support it, and I've been passionately jailbreaking Apple devices for over 5 years now. During that time there have been, if I recall correctly, just 2 potential "virus like" threats to IOS, one specific to jailbreaking which was never anything more than a proof of concept, and another which was valid to both stock and jailbroken devices (using the Safari PDF font exploit). But no malicious code was ever discovered in the public domain relating to either of these as far as I can remember, and the jailbreak community patched the second exploit in less than 24 hours, with Apple following suit on stock devices another 24 hours later ;)
Yes, if jailbreakers do silly things like enable SSH, fail to change the password from the default, connect to a public wifi network with an unsecured router, and have the very bad luck to encounter a malicious user on the same network who is specifically looking for folks like them, then potentially they could get into trouble. But that same malicious user is probably doing much more interesting malicious things on the network like trying to intercept unsecured data from EVERYONE on the network, rather than looking for a careless iDevice jailbreaker :)

With a little bit of care, common sense, and research, both stock and jailbroken iDevice owners should be equally secure in my own humble opinion :)

Couldn't have said it better myself - and didn't lol. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Latest posts