What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari shuts down!!!

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'M having an issue since my upgrade a while back. Whenever I'm bouncing around on websites, on safari..it shuts down and goes to my home page. I get back to the page with no problem, however it is a pain in the butt.
Is this happening to anyone else?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine will occasionally lock up on 1/3 of a progress bar when loading a Facebook page. Nothing happens, I close safari, delete my tray items, go back into safari & it reloads everything.
I agree, PITA but it works. And no, it never did this on my 4.3 OS. Just on 5.1

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have had problems with Safari crashing since upgrading to iOS 5 and others have reported this too.

Miep333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with Safari crashing all the time since the last update...frustrating to say the least...I thought I was the only one..tried everything...nothing helps.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every once in awhile, Safari does crash to my home screen. When it does, I go back into Safari, clear history, and I'm good to go. This is unfortunately a work around. I have concluded that unless Apple does some backward programming for the original iPad, the clearing history routine will be just part of the way it works. On my iPad2, I have never experienced this problem with Safari or any other memory intensive app.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
It appears to be an issue involving the ipad 1 only. Hopefully apple will address this in an update or hotfix

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

slori447

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and every thing is crashing all the the time really frustrated!

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
slori447 said:
I have an iPad 1 and every thing is crashing all the the time really frustrated!

Do you reset it once in a while? Hold the sleep button and home button until the apple appears - about ten seconds. Then wait while it restarts. You don't lose anything. This is like restarting a computer. Also the ram on the iPad original is less than the 2.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes this is an issue that quite a few members are experiencing. The ipad1 has only 256 mb of ram compared to the ipad2 with 512 mb. The best thing to do here is close all your apps completely regularly and clear out history and cookies from Safari, also keep location services to a minimum. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, clear all these apps as this will clear up more ram.
Settings - Safari - clear cookies and history.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 user here and I have had this too. I also had similar problems with some new game apps (e.g. Trivial Pursuit) that failed to start. The reset trick seems to work for me but the problem does re-occur after a while. This is definately related to the latest update to iOS 5 as never experienced this type of behaviour before.

I guess it is relating to shortage of memory - but either the iOS 5 is pulling too much memory for original iPad or its not as good as releasing it from apps. Hopefully there is a fix underway - I think the iOS 5 is a good upgrade and like the features but if it creates these operational issues I'd rather downgrade. It may be an interesting thread to how to do that as probably like a lot of users I update as and when prompted when syncing or these days you receive updates via iCloud.

I'm happy to accept that at some point an update is out of release for older hardware - but if its developed it should be tested across all hardware platforms it is advertised for.

SquiderDragon

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Icab (terrific browser)developer has a very good explanation of why the Ipad 1 acts like this--and it is the same as you state. I have gotten over being annoyed at this since I have loved my Ipad 1 since it came out, have found I use a computer now quite differently and will just upgrade to an Ipad 3. My husband and friends who don't use it in the same manner rarely have a crash incident so now I just reset, keep open apps at minimum, watch my tabs in Safari or Icab and think what I've gotten out of my Ipad 1. My laptop has had a very long rest and my PC is now the niche computer being used only for Photoshop/Lightroom and occasional big jobs in Office. IOS 5 demands a lot and I find I limit a number of those on gen 1 and accept its limitations.

I suspect that Apple should have limited some of IOS 5 for Ipad 1 but then they would have had a terrible backlash but I for one don't want to limit what Two and Three can do just because One is not capable.

Diane

Yes this is an issue that quite a few members are experiencing. The ipad1 has only 256 mb of ram compared to the ipad2 with 512 mb. The best thing to do here is close all your apps completely regularly and clear out history and cookies from Safari, also keep location services to a minimum. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, clear all these apps as this will clear up more ram.
Settings - Safari - clear cookies and history.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I have an iPad 2 which is doing this but only when Facebook is open in safari. Facebook & Safari is odd now & finicky in OS5. Media tabs are huge, sometimes comments won't post, and if I try to go to a friend's wall, it locks safari up completely & I have to close safari & delete my tray, then re open safari to load anything. It reloads all my tabs & I am good to go.

Just sucks though as the FB app isn't much more reliable than safari.

lilybramble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad 2, and Safari is crashing constantly. I've tried clearing history and cookies, doing hard resets, closing out all the apps in my tray--all several times and in different combinations. As of this evening, I can't use Safari at all; it won't stay open long enough to do anything. Is Apple listening?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I have an iPad 2 which is doing this but only when Facebook is open in safari. Facebook & Safari is odd now & finicky in OS5. Media tabs are huge, sometimes comments won't post, and if I try to go to a friend's wall, it locks safari up completely & I have to close safari & delete my tray, then re open safari to load anything. It reloads all my tabs & I am good to go.

Just sucks though as the FB app isn't much more reliable than safari.

Until now I had assumed that this was a case of the iPad 1 not having sufficient resources to run iOS 5 reliably, apparently this is not the case.

Interesting that FB also has a problem. I have found that alternative web browsers also crash, indicating (to me anyway) that the problem is in iOS support for web browsing rather than Safari itself.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until now I had assumed that this was a case of the iPad 1 not having sufficient resources to run iOS 5 reliably, apparently this is not the case.

Interesting that FB also has a problem. I have found that alternative web browsers also crash, indicating (to me anyway) that the problem is in iOS support for web browsing rather than Safari itself.

Since iOS 5, Safari crashes have increased on both my iPad 1 and 2, but the crashes are significantly more frequent on iPad 1. There might be reasons other than RAM, but when I check my diagnostics logs on both iPads, RAM errors appear more frequently on iPad 1 than iPad 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts