What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Extensions

dvx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello anybody-everybody,

I glimpsed through the forum and can't seem to find an answer to safari extensions for my ipad2.

Safari does not support extensions for iPad or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
DVX

OP
D

dvx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,

I was hoping that I was doing something wrong. The minimum I need is a translator and I really do not want to cut and paste into any translator app. Do you know of any other browser on the iPad that supports translator extension?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello anybody-everybody,

I glimpsed through the forum and can't seem to find an answer to safari extensions for my ipad2.

Safari does not support extensions for iPad or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
DVX

Ah, but Safari does support bookmarklets.

I've attached a list of the bookmarklets I have installed in my Safari on my iPad. The Translate (to English) one works … I've just tested it (on an iPad1 and an iPad2). You may see others you like - they are very handy.

In case you don't know how, and if I may be so bold, let me give you instructions on getting these into your Safari:

1) Copy any one of these bookmarks so they are in your iPad's clipboard

2) Go to any site in Safari

3) Click the arrow to the left of the address bar and select "Add Bookmark"

4) Put the new bookmark wherever you wish (rename now if you want) and select "Save"

5) Now, got back into the bookmarks (pressing on the book icon to the left of that arrow)

6) Navigate through your bookmarks until you see the one you just made, select "Edit" and then choose your bookmark

7) Select your bookmark (don't press the red minus sign, just touch the white part)

8) The second line of the edit field contains the web address. Clear that out (press the grey "X") and then paste your bookmarklet link in there. Yep, you put the whole thing, even if it's an incredibly long line!

9) Tap outside the edit box and ta da! You've got a new bookmarklet, which will let you do stuff in Safari.

To use the bookmarklets, just open up the bookmark and press it. The action, such as translate, will automatically happen. I have mine all in a folder (aptly titled "Tools") on the bookmark toolbar for easy access. Makes life easier.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. There are a bunch of bookmarklet sites out there. The attached document is just some of the bookmarklets I've taken for my own use. There are a lot more…

Attachments

• Bookmarklets.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 8,912

Hitham adli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys! Is there any chance to have an extension for Arabic translation too? Urgently needed :) Thanks for the reply

Hitham adli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May I ask you if exists an extension for English to Arabic translation? Thanks for the reply

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't know how to create bookmarklets. And, all my searches for an English to Arabic bookmarklets have turned up nothing. So, all I can suggest is to do the standard "cut and paste" of your text into the Google Translate link here: http://translate.google.com/

Then, select the language you wish to translate to and let Google do its magic.

Sorry to not be of better assistance. But, if you ever DO find a bookmarklet for this, come back and tell us. We'll add it to our list here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html

Marilyn

Hitham adli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again Micky! I found I cooler method to do and it is quiet easy too! All you gotta do is App Store ⏩ download an app called tap to translate and it allows translation within safari :) it detects automatically the language and you set it up for what ever language you like. Thanks for your reply and good day ;)

ShadowC. X 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can actually create bookmarklets if you need them, I know enough javascript. But just a question: Did you want to translate a whole page or just words?

Most reactions

Latest posts