What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari cannot connect to internet?!

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone figured this out yet? Im so over unplugging my modem and router then plugging back n. Its happens to my ipad 1 and ipad 2 both wifi only models....its happening right now to my ipad 1 but not my ipad 2!! I've restarted the ipad 1, cut off, erased browsing history and catche, cut wifi off/on, airplane mode off/on....any other ideas or fixes please?! Thanks!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone figured this out yet? Im so over unplugging my modem and router then plugging back n. Its happens to my ipad 1 and ipad 2 both wifi only models....its happening right now to my ipad 1 but not my ipad 2!! I've restarted the ipad 1, cut off, erased browsing history and catche, cut wifi off/on, airplane mode off/on....any other ideas or fixes please?! Thanks!
How frustrating! If you're having Wi-Fi issues with both of your iPads and if rebooting your router cures it (at least sometimes or for a time) it's most likely that it's a network issue and nothing to do with your iPads.

Having said that, here are some tips...

Several things often help improve WiFi connections on the iPad. Simply shutting down apps and restarting the iPad can fix most issues.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

If that doesn't do it, try restarting the iPad and if that still doesn't do it try resetting it.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Delete and Setup Wi-Fi: You can try deleting the network connection on your iPad and then go back and set it up again. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on your network > Forget this Network.

Other tips...

Distance from the Wi-Fi router can impact the signal as well as interference from other electronics including microwaves, wireless home phones, cell phones, etc. Walls and floors with metallic studs can have a negative impact on Wi-Fi signals as well. Sometimes moving the Wi-Fi modem/router closer to where you use the iPad most can help.

Ensure that your router is running the latest firmware. Determine what version it's currently running and then visit the manufacturer's site to see if there's an update...follow the update instructions accordingly.

Another tip is to reboot your network and everything on it including your modem, router, etc. while your iPad is off. Turn your iPad back on and see if the connection has improved.

The iPad is optimized for the WPA or WPA2 security protocol. Setting the modem/router to WPA or WPA2 will often improve and stabilize Wi-Fi connections. If you have an older router that is only capable of WEP security it should probably be replaced...WEP is no longer secure and the iPad may have trouble connecting and staying connected.

Here's some more info if none of that works...

iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/30525-checklist-troubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/38535-slowing-i-pad2-2.html#post291682

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
How frustrating! If you're having Wi-Fi issues with both of your iPads and if rebooting your router cures it (at least sometimes or for a time) it's most likely that it's a network issue and nothing to do with your iPads.

Having said that, here are some tips...

Several things often help improve WiFi connections on the iPad. Simply shutting down apps and restarting the iPad can fix most issues.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

If that doesn't do it, try restarting the iPad and if that still doesn't do it try resetting it.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Delete and Setup Wi-Fi: You can try deleting the network connection on your iPad and then go back and set it up again. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on your network > Forget this Network.

Other tips...

Distance from the Wi-Fi router can impact the signal as well as interference from other electronics including microwaves, wireless home phones, cell phones, etc. Walls and floors with metallic studs can have a negative impact on Wi-Fi signals as well. Sometimes moving the Wi-Fi modem/router closer to where you use the iPad most can help.

Ensure that your router is running the latest firmware. Determine what version it's currently running and then visit the manufacturer's site to see if there's an update...follow the update instructions accordingly.

Another tip is to reboot your network and everything on it including your modem, router, etc. while your iPad is off. Turn your iPad back on and see if the connection has improved.

The iPad is optimized for the WPA or WPA2 security protocol. Setting the modem/router to WPA or WPA2 will often improve and stabilize Wi-Fi connections. If you have an older router that is only capable of WEP security it should probably be replaced...WEP is no longer secure and the iPad may have trouble connecting and staying connected.

Here's some more info if none of that works...

iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/30525-checklist-troubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/38535-slowing-i-pad2-2.html#post291682

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I've done about 95% of these things. It was doing this on my old WEP setup as well. In the last couple weeks I've put In a new WPA2 network in via netgear as well as a wifi network extender downstairs so that ps3, iPads, laptops, and apple tv have full bars now. Router is new and up to date firmware, all day today and even now that I jus got home from work still one of the pads can get online and the other cant, two laptops, iPhone 4 and droid x working on my network. Now my apple tv lost signal and my ps3 jus got logged out the network and signed off and when i try to sign back n Sony network it says DNS server error which is a big common deal with the ps3 also.

I currently have Verizon dsl and I read alot where people have messed with there primary DNS and secondary DNS server numbers as meaning using googles dns numbers, anyone know anything about that? And if I change them do that in my router manager then on each device such as ps3, wii, ?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I've done about 95% of these things. It was doing this on my old WEP setup as well. In the last couple weeks I've put In a new WPA2 network in via netgear as well as a wifi network extender downstairs so that ps3, iPads, laptops, and apple tv have full bars now. Router is new and up to date firmware, all day today and even now that I jus got home from work still one of the pads can get online and the other cant, two laptops, iPhone 4 and droid x working on my network. Now my apple tv lost signal and my ps3 jus got logged out the network and signed off and when i try to sign back n Sony network it says DNS server error which is a big common deal with the ps3 also.

I currently have Verizon dsl and I read alot where people have messed with there primary DNS and secondary DNS server numbers as meaning using googles dns numbers, anyone know anything about that? And if I change them do that in my router manager then on each device such as ps3, wii, ?
Changing your DNS won't have any effect on the ability of your various devices to connect to your home network.

I'd still try all of the tips, but overall it still sounds like a network issue since a number of devices are suffering. It may be interference from something in the house or from a nearby network, hard to say.

It's possible that the network is assigning new IP addresses more often than normal or is unable to manage all of the devices. If you're up for it you could try assigning static IP addresses for each device. That can stabilize the connection. Here's a good article about setting up your modem/router with a a static IP address that can be assigned to your iPad:

Get A Static IP! How to set a static ip address for your computer (for p2p, web servers, bittorrent, etc) for Linux, Windows, and Mac.

Here is how to set up your iPad with a static IP address:

How to connect an iPad to a Wireless or Wi-Fi network

Other than that it sounds like you've gone the extra mile. It may be time to have a network expert drop by and have a look if the rest of your efforts don't produce any positive results.

Others may chime in with some ideas, but hope that helps!

Most reactions