What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari & apps repeatedly exit out.

Katelin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting very frustrated with this. Occasionally when I am on safari it'll just exit out on its own and go,back to the home screen. Some apps that I have (mostly games) will load for a second and then bam exit out by itself. I even have this one game that won't even stay open for more than 3 seconds.
Things I've tried:

-deleting app then redownloading
-turning ipad completely off
-double clicking the home button and exiting out of apps & safari
-doing a reset by holding power and home buttons

And my ipad is up to date. But it's doing this very often (mostly on apps, rarely safari) and its becoming very frustrating. I have the ipad 2 and it's about a year old. It started doing this just a couple months after getting it but rarely, and just now started getting frequent. Help??

EDIT: okay now I've noticed that some apps will exit out repeatedly while I'm on my wifi , but when I turn it off they work fine. What's up with that???

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting very frustrated with this. Occasionally when I am on safari it'll just exit out on its own and go,back to the home screen. Some apps that I have (mostly games) will load for a second and then bam exit out by itself. I even have this one game that won't even stay open for more than 3 seconds.
Things I've tried:

And my ipad is up to date. But it's doing this very often (mostly on apps, rarely safari) and its becoming very frustrating. I have the ipad 2 and it's about a year old. It started doing this just a couple months after getting it but rarely, and just now started getting frequent. Help??

You could try this:
Settings>General>Reset and then tap "Reset all Settings". You will still retain your contacts, calendar and media such as songs and videos. But all your your preferences and settings are reset. That may help.
Regards, Andrew

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Katelin said:
Things I've tried:

You can try closing all the apps in your multitasking bar. It can free up memory in the RAM. To do so, double click the home button, then tap and hold on one of the app icons until they all start to wiggle. Then tap the red - sign that appears in the upper left corner. This closes the app, but does not erase it from your iPad. Then try safari and those other apps, they should work better. Perform this cleanup on a regular basis and it should help your iPad run more smoothly.

OP
Katelin

Katelin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try closing all the apps in your multitasking bar. It can free up memory in the RAM. To do so, double click the home button, then tap and hold on one of the app icons until they all start to wiggle. Then tap the red - sign that appears in the upper left corner. This closes the app, but does not erase it from your iPad. Then try safari and those other apps, they should work better. Perform this cleanup on a regular basis and it should help your iPad run more smoothly.

In my post I stated that's something I've already done.

OP
Katelin

Katelin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try this:
Settings>General>Reset and then tap "Reset all Settings". You will still retain your contacts, calendar and media such as songs and videos. But all your your preferences and settings are reset. That may help.
Regards, Andrew

It's letting me in the game it didn't before! I think this might have worked

Edit: Nevermind, as soon as I turned my wifi back on, it's doing the same thing???

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's letting me in the game it didn't before! I think this might have worked

Edit: Nevermind, as soon as I turned my wifi back on, it's doing the same thing???

Try this Katelin, it might work.
Turn off your modem by removing the cable, and switch off your WiFi router (Or if they are one combined unit, switch it off). Wait about 30 seconds then connect/turn on again. Did that do any good?
Regards, Andrew

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an idea, have you tried a different router? Go to a friend's house or try public wifi. If it works properly while using a different router, it may be time to replace your router.

borderjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad 3 has just this week begun exiting to Home Screen usually when I am using Safari. Wondered if it's an update I installed? Or Words with Friends or Bubble Witch games? Any help appreciated. Have tried switching off, also always do exit my apps.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
borderjoe said:
My Ipad 3 has just this week begun exiting to Home Screen usually when I am using Safari. Wondered if it's an update I installed? Or Words with Friends or Bubble Witch games? Any help appreciated. Have tried switching off, also always do exit my apps.

Have you tried any of the other solutions mentioned in this thread?

borderjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't want to risk losing my passwords etc unless I really have to...I do loads of competitions...so wasn,t going to reset Settings unless I have to. I have shut Ipad right off, daily, close all apps by holding Home button and deleting jiggling apps etc. If I clear History, will that do any good or will that mean my passwords etc will go? Am not brilliant at the workings , sorry.

Well SAFARI is exiting out even more frequently and I just lost a voucher I'd won...so frustrating...any ideas welcome but I really don't want to clear all my settings unless I have to.

Last edited:

zdwc02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed iOS7 and Safari exits every 5-10 minutes. I powered down & up with no effect. I stopped all other apps, no help. This is very frustrating. It takes 20-60 seconds to load the Web site (very long stream of data) and I have wasted a lot of time reloading the same page.

borderjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed iOS7 and Safari exits every 5-10 minutes. I powered down & up with no effect. I stopped all other apps, no help. This is very frustrating. It takes 20-60 seconds to load the Web site (very long stream of data) and I have wasted a lot of time reloading the same page.

Hi, I posted here after installing IOS6 ...am still having exactly same issues with Safari...and Google Chrome occasionally too. I began using Mercury two weeks ago and it hasn't exited once! Am not risking IOS7 in case something else goes wrong. Am not good enough at IT to be able to experiment with too many fixes.

JC_AZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem, wherever I am logged in... not affected or improved by using a different Wi-Fi and all settings have been reset

zdwc02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can confirm, after repeated tests, that if I load any size page (and I have one which is 200 iPad screens long), then turn Wi-Fi off, then Safari will not exit of its own accord. If I leave Wi-Fi on then the furthest into this page I can go before it closes is about 1/3 into it.

JC_AZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way I have been able to avoid the constant dumping out of a website or apps being stopped is by using Chrome... Safari kicks me out of site regularly... way too frustrating to use

Most reactions