What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari and email problems

elainechilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to send reply and forward emails from my email account through safari - not the mail app- however the email goes but seems to erase the content. I have tried rebooting etc but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what about webmail? our office email is accessed remotely using webmail.xxxx.com, when i do so, i can only get emails since my last logout.

OP
E

elainechilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shaw.ca and email.com are the email providers. I have gone into the settings but don't really know what I'm looking for. There is an option to do a quick response and it works ok. Maybe future shop can help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of POP3 accounts, but that looks like all Shaw supplies. You should alt least be able to send email this way, though it can complicate keeping the inbox up to date. Try setting up your Mail app using the instructions from their site. (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > Add Account > Other > Add Mail Account)

Shaw Support

I can't find any info for email.com. I get sent to a search/advertising page for email providers.

Some websites use text editors that work poorly with the iPad. It sounds like this is your problem. You can search through the web site's settings and see if they offer different text editors. HTML is good. WYSIWIG ones are unpredictable, because they often use extensions that are not supported fully on the iPad.

mbrin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem appears to be Safari as I can log on to my Network Solutions account using the POP settings. Is there any reason that Safari would not process this? It happens with WiFi, and AT&T connections for Safari. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends entirely on what extensions the provider uses to drive the website. Safari does not support Java, Flash, or some of the other proprietary web protocols. Heck, even Apple's iCloud (and old MobileMe) site does not work with Safari. Googles full desktop sites also choke a bit for mobile browses (which is why they have more limited mobile versions of many sites).

Basically, whenever you go to a site that is basically an app, you take your chances. As more and more sites start using HTML5 and redirecting to mobile safe versions this should become less of a problem. Of course, there are always those who just won't get with the program. Sadly, ISP's are often the worst culprits. Their email and other services are usually just tacked on, and they spend little time or effort to update them.

In the end you are usually better off just using their internet access and getting your email from another provider like Google, Yahoo, or even iCloud.

Safari, btw, doesn't use POP settings. That's the Mail app. When you access email via a web browser like Safari then server settings like POP, IMAP, and Exchange mean nothing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Is Ther another iPad comparable browser I should consider?

Most of the third party browses use the same engine as Safari, and will not work any better.

Opera Mini however does a lot of it's work on a remote server. It may work. There are also the Flash browsers. Depending on what you want they may be usable for Flash sites, but since they also run on remote servers your site might work with them. The ones most often mentioned are iSwifter, Puffin, and Skyfire.

Opera Mini is free, and actually works pretty well for most sites. You should probably give it a try first. It does have some unusual UI quirks, but you should be able to figure it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts