What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Run your Mac or PC from your iPad...for free

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Splashtop 2 went free today, dunno for how long. With the free companion server app for your desktop computer, you don't just have access to your media, but to your programs as well. You don't need to create a Splashtop account as long as both devices are on the same wifi network. It really works--I downloaded an MKV on my iMac, loaded it into VLC, and watched it...all from my iPad. I disabled the iMac's sleep remotely to prevent interruption. Afterward, I reenabled sleep and quit the server app remotely. The performance was very good, and the options for controlling the desktop without a mouse are about as comprehensive as you could possibly expect. Pretty cool.

No affiliation, just another iPad user.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Darn. I already own it. I wonder if I can not-pay retroactively.

Nah, they are great devs. The deserved my money, though if memory serves I got it for half-off.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm the same in that I also purchased this App JUST two weeks ago.....

I already have it running on my Android Tablets and wanted it also for the iPad.
At the time Of wishing to instal on the iPad I noticed the Android version was free yet the iOS version was Paid.
I contacted the developer and asked why the difference, this was his reply:-

"Splashtop v2 for iPad provides a special feature "Local Mode" which is only exisitng in other v1 paid apps, it supports 'auto-discovery' within a local network without Splashtop account creation, some users with serious security concern like it.

This feature also provides savvy users some advanced configurations like ports forwarding, or WoL across Internet. The other v2 apps don't be equipped with this 'Local Mode' feature."

With that I purchased the iOS version. I don't begrudge paying as it supports the Dev but I do sometimes question titles that with Android is Free yet with iOS it is paid only.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded this app today along with the streamer for my a PC and have basically wasted and hour trying to set the damn thing up. Even though the iPad can see my computer it will not connect.

Have tried inputting my IP address manually and running in local mode but all I get is "cannot connect".

Also checked my firewall and no problems there.

I finally gave up and deleted the app from my iPad and uninstalled from the PC.

I had hoped it would be a little more intuitive but it was not to be.

If anyone has any suggestions I will give it another go.

P.s. I am running Windows Vista :)

Most reactions

Latest posts