What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumors

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back in my old Bell System days, the credo was, "If you haven't heard a good rumor by 10 AM, you start one." :D

Obviously, this has been adopted by the media where the iPad 3 is concerned.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why did they discontinue the iPad 3 already? I do not see them for sale anywhere. I just ordered an iPad 6. I hope it arrives in time.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't have a Retina Display. It might have 2048x1536. iBooks 2 seems to support the idea of 2048x1536. That's close to a Retina Display -- and plenty in the media will wrongly call it a Retina Display -- but its only about 270 ppi, short of the 300 ppi needed for the distinction.

jussumguy88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge when I should sell my iPad 2 .....should I have sold it already to get the best price I'm gonna get on it..? Or do u guys think I still have some time left before I have to sell. I'm gonna use the money I make from the iPad 2 to buy an iPad 3, when its released.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It won't have a Retina Display. It might have 2048x1536. iBooks 2 seems to support the idea of 2048x1536. That's close to a Retina Display -- and plenty in the media will wrongly call it a Retina Display -- but its only about 270 ppi, short of the 300 ppi needed for the distinction.

So what is the point in calling it a Retina Display when it does not have a 330 PPI ?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My more important question is, if it does not have a 330 PPI which is the minimum parameter to be called a Retina Display but if it has a resolution of 2048x1536 will the display be anywhere close to the Retina Display will it be worth noticing and close to be called a spectacular display ?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

270 ppi is a "retina-like" display, and that's good enough for me (I think).

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what is the point in calling it a Retina Display when it does not have a 330 PPI ?

You typically hold the iPad further from your face than the iPhone due to the size of the screen so a lower ppi would be less noticeable with the greater distance.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You typically hold the iPad further from your face than the iPhone due to the size of the screen so a lower ppi would be less noticeable with the greater distance.

So in turn what u r saying is even with a lesser PPI it could still be a Retina Display (e.g 265-270 PPI) right ?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:
So in turn what u r saying is even with a lesser PPI it could still be a Retina Display (e.g 265-270 PPI) right ?

It would have the same effect, yes. I have a 55" 1080p tv but from where I view it I can't make out the individual pixels therefore it as the same effect. It is all down to viewing distances, retina display is just a name coined by Apple because they said you can't discern the individual pixels. If I hold the iPhone 4 close enough to my face then I can make out the individual pixels but from a normal viewing distance I can hence the term 'retina display'.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts