What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review: Apple iPad 2 - More like 1.5

hwzsgperson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
came across this review. Apple iPad 2 (3G 64GB) - HardwareZone.com

We focuse our energy to review the iPad 2, which feels remarkably more like an incremental upgrade to the already "magical" iPad than anything. In fact, it feels more like an "iPad 1.5" than a version 2.0 as it gets some improvements in the form of a new dual-core A5 processor, twice the RAM at 512MB, a thinner frame, better graphics performance and dual cameras. The iPad 2 is also now capable of outputting 1080p video to a TV via a separate HDMI connector, while the original iPad was only capable of 720p video output.

07c6416683.jpg;pv120ff487dbc4d6b2

Not so sure if I can wait for iPad 3...

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
it's just a personal opinion. i'm the only one (of the chaps that is) in my family that go nuts over Apple hardwares. My teenage nephews hate Apple with a vengeance (dunno why) and insist on those 'other' devices.
But, as i tell them, like it or not, fan or not, the facts are blindingly clear - Apple and it's ipad2 are WAY WAY WAY ahead of any competition in all respects of the user experience. The competition are still struggling to catch up with ipad 1!

why would zillions of customers spend all their hard earned cash on these devices which are so popular Apple cant yet even manufacture fast enough to meet demand? Are we all wrong?

as for upgrades? well yeah, ipad3 is obviously better than ipad2. so wait if you must. then wait for ipad 4, 5, 6 etc etc. that argument is null and void.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took getting an iPad 2 this way... It incluided all the key feature sets (cameras, speed bump, video out) that will keep it going forward as Apple plays with thunderbolt and software.

Clearly many of the "issues" with an iPad 2 can be almost totally be addressed by software changes if Apple had a mind.

I prefer to think long term with my hardware and I anticipate being able go ride this iPad 2 all the way to an iPad 5 or 6. If anything I would be more leery of the iPad 3. We have multi-touch Lion coming up and likely iOS 5 not long after. The next step I see with the iPad is the typical hardware tweaks Apple does with it's iOS line, but the tighter integration and interplay with MacOSX.

Two things need to happen before I think about getting another model iPad. #1 The iPad needs to stand alone. It's to.... powerful a tool to be leashed to a single machine. Going along with that is a more robust 1st party solution from Apple for Enterprise and Institution management for them. I speak K-12 and focused task uses, not trying to integrate a users own personally owed iPad into a network.
#2 is the opposite side. With individual users having multiple iPads linking into the home network. One big computer with large file storage, a TV/Entertainment system hook-up, iOS devices controlling or drawing from those resources or being private platforms as the users wish.

#2 may be coming with Lion, however I would expect a few more hardware/software iterations before it all works well. Much of that is really just software. I honestly feel that's what were down to. Oh sure we can keep getting hardware Improvements which make things run smoother, but aside from adding missing features (like gps in the wifi, better cameras, thunderbolt, maybe NFC and 4G if those count) but that's not what's going to push the iPad beyond what the iPad 2 or even iPad 1 can already do.

Hardware races and spec wars are for people not looking at big picture uses.... Add higher sensitivity touch surface for fine point art/drafting/hand-writing uses with styles (a nitch but valuable area).

obi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WTF...

The "reviewer" calls it a Ipad 1.5 then goes on to mention improvements in the form of 1) new dual-core A5 processor 2) twice the RAM at 512MB, 3)a thinner frame, 4)better graphics performance and finally 5) dual cameras!!!.......oh and the ability to output at 1080p.....

..... I want some of whatever he is smoking!! LOL :D

jake1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only hardware feature its really lacking at this point is a memory card slot.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only hardware feature its really lacking at this point is a memory card slot.

It is sort of possible to use a memory card with the camera connection kit - yes, of course, you can only upload photos and videos unless you jail break. But it's easy to transfer files on and off the iPad using cloud storage - such as Apple's MobileMe iDisk or DropBox. In many ways, this is far more convenient than having to carry around memory cards. Perhaps you could argue that the iPad has left memory cards behind - just like virtually none of use floppy disks any longer. :)

Tim
Scotland

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
agreed.

the next big step for me personally was touched on earlier - the ability to use your ipad as a stand alone device. not having to be physically linked to a computer via itunes every now and then.

i want to sync media to my ipad wirelessly via itunes (can i do that now?)
and more importantly, i want to upgrade firmware and register the device without the need to hookup to a computer. this is most important when you dont own a pc.

i'm not a big fan of a retina display, especially on an already superb screen. why would i want that personally? and the cameras for me are purely for video conferencing, not for my amateur photography attempts.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
agreed.

the next big step for me personally was touched on earlier - the ability to use your ipad as a stand alone device. not having to be physically linked to a computer via itunes every now and then.

i want to sync media to my ipad wirelessly via itunes (can i do that now?)
and more importantly, i want to upgrade firmware and register the device without the need to hookup to a computer. this is most important when you dont own a pc.

i'm not a big fan of a retina display, especially on an already superb screen. why would i want that personally? and the cameras for me are purely for video conferencing, not for my amateur photography attempts.

You can up and download media to your iPad using GoodReader - via its built in web browser. This allows downloads unlike Safari on the iPad. And, of course, you can transfer media files from a PC using WiFi without the need for iTunes. I synch'd my iPad Day 1 and have never connected it to my PC since then.

Tim

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love it when we get reviews like this as some one said "I wonder what he is smoking" What they want is impact read the article because WE and i mean We know about this new product and WE know how to review NA NA They are hopeless so take reviews like this with a grain of salt.

1) As for expandable memory there are wifi options available

2) It will not be long before Apple brings their one billion dollar Server Farm on line then your wish will be granted

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the point, even with GoodReader it still isn't really standalone. Can you get music or podcasts into the iPod app from GoodReader? Same with videos. It's a work around and feels like it, kinda clunky.

It's close. All it needs is software changes.

I don't think a card slot is needed. At least not until there is a user accessible file system (see software).

And yes, if Apple had supported USB external Webcams and video options I would be saying that the cameras would have not been needed. But as they haven't an internal solution was needed.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts