What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove background tweak questions

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed the remove background tweak on my iPad 2. Which apps and processes need to be listed as exceptions? In other words, are there any apps or processes that can cause problems if they are allowed to be removed by remove background?

My final question is about the tweak itself. I have seen different opinions about the benefit of killing running apps in general regarding memory usage and battery life. Is there a definitive opinion about this question?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My final question is about the tweak itself. I have seen different opinions about the benefit of killing running apps in general regarding memory usage and battery life.
Is there a definitive opinion about this question?
The iPAD is not a multitasking machine, so no application (Except iPOD) is running in the backround. The battery is used only for the current running application + iOS4.
The only thing that is running in the background is the operating system . Some of the tweaks became part of that operating system.
So yes. you add tweaks, you add more things running there.
Regarding memory. Yes even though the applications are not running, they do use memory where they "Sit & wait" to be re-activate.
If you have lots of lots of Apps that you haven't close - You will run out of memory needed to start new applications.
(The App will start and immediately close on it's own)
Also/ People need to perform a fuul reset once a week or month, since every Computer with operating system, has bugs ,
that cause memory leakage. Meaning memory that is being marked as used - but does nothing.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any app "excepted" from the Remove Background tweak. I use it all the time - to no ill effect.

That's because some apps are running in the background. The iOS controls when they shut down (and not very many are "open" at once anyway). You can tell the apps that are running if you open your multitasker and if the icon is bright, it's still "running" in the background. The dim icons are not. There's lots of threads discussing backgrounding and multi-tasking, BTW.

When I use the RemoveBG tweak, everything closes out (all are gone from the multitask bar). It sure does open up some RAM! Very handy if you are fixing to open a RAM-hogging app ... pre-cleans the iOS so you lower your chances of having that RAM hog crash.

I also installed the toggle for SBSettings, which makes it very easy for me to use this tweak. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've configured activator to run removebackground with a push and hold on the task bar and have removed all exceptions.

Most reactions

Latest posts