What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote aap?

voodookills31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a remote app where I can access my pc's while I'm on my iPad. One where I don't have to be on the same network.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a remote app where I can access my pc's while I'm on my iPad. One where I don't have to be on the same network.

Yes - there are several. One of the best known is 'GoToMyPC'. The app is free but you need to pay for the service. The advantage is that you can access your PC over WiFi or 3G from any iPad or PC anywhere in the world.

I've used this for a while and it works just fine. However, there are several other third party apps that other members have used and like too, so I should wait a little to receive some more recommendations.

Tim
Scotland

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teamviewer hd. the free version disconnects every 5 minutes though.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes they have to be turn on and connected to wifi as well.
with teamviewer, you have to download teamviewer on your pc or mac as well. and download app on your ipad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! They are connected to wifi when on, but we rarely turn them on. Just checking!

I've not come across a way to remotely 'wake them up'. Not sure how that could be accomplished easily - i.e. without some additional hardware. Of course, too, you'd have to make sure that you've got the power settings configured correctly so that the PC never goes to sleep by itself because of inactivity. But, of course, you could switch the monitor off, which can be a major consumer of electrical power.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
It is possible to remotely wake up a pc or laptop via WOL (Wake on LAN).

Basically what this does, is that when the PC shuts down, the Ethernet card stays powered on, waiting for a certain package (magic packet) to arrive. When this signal arrives, it turns on the PC. This magic packet can be send from any device via Internet.

The configuration is slightly complicated, but well worth it.
To setup WOL, you will need to have the PC connected via Ethernet cable to the internet, turn WOL on in the BIOS settings, as well as turn on port forwarding in the router configuration. Most WOL apps will come with more detailed instructions, as mine are not that clear.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds like the solution - many thanks. I should have thought of that - a great idea! So, as you say, the only 'downside' is that the PC has to be connected by Ethernet - so a WiFi connected laptop wouldn't work. But I guess most people wanting to access their home PC will have a regular 'desk top' PC in mind and most all of those have the RJ-45 Ethernet socket and so could be connected to the ADSL router via a wired connection.

As you say, probably not a job for the faint-hearted!!

Thanks again for that suggestion.

Tim
Scotland

Mac4Lfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Logmein on my iPad to remote into my MacBook Pro connected by wifi. I use a program called Insomniax that keeps the laptop awake even when the lid is closed. I just keep it connected to the charger and close it. This has saved me many of times.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dunno if you know this, but 1 thing to be aware of, is some of the desktop apps don't work with windows "home". (you might not have the home version, but it's worth noting lol).

I have windows 7 home premium, and Splashtop worked straight away for me.

I have set it up to connect via the Internet as well as through LAN. And it seems to connect fine either way. (I say "seems" because I haven't tried using it away from the house, so I'm not 100% sure, even though it connected fine with both setups) =P

I'm not sure if it can wake your pc though, I'd do a bit of research if you need it to be able to do that.

*edit*
It can wake your pc, I just tried it =)

Just start the app, then you'll be at a list of the computers you can connect to. Click the little blue circle with an arrow in it, on the pc you want to wake up, click "advanced", then click "wake this computer".

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

Last edited:

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a problem to be aware of in connecting to your computer from another network is encryption. As I understand it (and my understanding on this is far from complete), if you don't use some kind of encryption such as a VPN, your data is visible to amyone and this could lead to your computer being hacked.

This would not be a concern using, say, Splashtop on the same network.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't messed about with things like encryption, while using splashtop, so I don't know anything about it. But Splashtop (and I assume all remote desktop apps) makes you put in a password before you can connect to the pc remotly.

The password can be around 20 letters/numbers long too, so if you have a good password, like random letters and numbers, instead of your pet's name. You should be pretty secure. :D (I'd make it at least 10 letters/numbers long)

Don't no one go trying to hack my pc just to prove me wrong now! :p

*edit*

I'v just been browsing my router settings, and I actually do have some encryption, but it's under the wireless network settings. Does that count for people accessing my pc remotly? (the pc is connected to the router with a LAN cable).

Last edited:

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'v just been browsing my router settings, and I actually do have some encryption, but it's under the wireless network settings. Does that count for people accessing my pc remotly? (the pc is connected to the router with a LAN cable).[/QUOTE]

Again, I'm not an expert at this, but from what I've read on the net, if you are trying to connect to your home computer from somewhere else (on the road, coffee shop, etc.) your data is exposed if it's not encrypted. I looked into setting this up but it seems complicated so I dropped it for now.

With Splashtop you can only connect from within your home network (meaning a computer on the same network as your ipad) so if you have wireless security set up in your router, and a firewall, you should be as safe as possible. The Splashtop password is there to keep anyone else from connecting to your computer within your home network.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Splashtop you can only connect from within your home network (meaning a computer on the same network as your ipad) so if you have wireless security set up in your router, and a firewall, you should be as safe as possible. The Splashtop password is there to keep anyone else from connecting to your computer within your home network.

LINK :D

Dunno if I added the link properly. If not, it's - Splashtop Inc. - Splashtop Remote - Support : How do I connect to my home computer from outside of home?

*edit*
I have my Splashtop set up like shown on that link (was actually pretty easy to set up, it's probably all the practice I get from having to port forward loads of ports for my Playstation 3 lol), and I also have it set up for my local network. And I can connect fine using either method. =)

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MadDragon1846 said:
I haven't messed about with things like encryption, while using splashtop, so I don't know anything about it. But Splashtop (and I assume all remote desktop apps) makes you put in a password before you can connect to the pc remotly.

The password can be around 20 letters/numbers long too, so if you have a good password, like random letters and numbers, instead of your pet's name. You should be pretty secure. :D (I'd make it at least 10 letters/numbers long)

Don't no one go trying to hack my pc just to prove me wrong now! :p

*edit*

I'v just been browsing my router settings, and I actually do have some encryption, but it's under the wireless network settings. Does that count for people accessing my pc remotly? (the pc is connected to the router with a LAN cable).

You meant like 6106unny which is rememberable and spells biobunny (don't use that password obviously). I heard that Pocketcloud is good but I've got Mac OS X Leopard and can't set up those VNC things, and I'm also afraid something happens because I'm running it from a portable USB drive. (don't ask why).

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best passwords are like dg63fub64 (nice and random. ya could maybe add 1 or 2 upper case letters if you want to make sure) I tend to keep away from using part of screen names, pet's names, birthdays, etc. it's the 1st thing a hacker would try.

It takes awhile to remember them, but just keep manually inputting them instead of having the computer remember them for you, and after awhile they get stuck in ya head, and ya can't forget them even if ya try lol

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions