What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really need help with Ipad problem with the Wi-Fi

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so i have this problem with my Ipad its quite annoying but nothing that most proberly cant be fixed. Every half hour to 2 hours or so my ipad disconnects from my wifi and says safari cannot open this page, my online apps dont work and the app store or itunes wont load which means the ipad is disconnected from the wifi, right? BUT it still tells me that i am connected to the wifi which is very wierd and it shows 3 or 2 bars which should still mean that i have a good internet connection plus im standing right next to the router and i have a 30mb/s internet speed so i dont know why its not working plus not only this but my laptop and desktop and blackberry still work when i connect to the wifi even when my ipad doesnt work. So please please please could someone help me out with this problem

Thank you

PS most people just say change your to WPA instead of WEP but it doesnt help. Should i change anything else under the WPA settings?

PSS perferrable email me at: [email protected]

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our moderators suggested this...

This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Col

col.bris, Brisbane Australia

Forum Rules. Please Read.

-----------------------

Tim

Sam Dean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If this happens with all mobile connections not just your iPad then also try changing the channel number.

OP
G

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If this happens with all mobile connections not just your iPad then also try changing the channel number.

Thanks for the help guys im trying the first suggestion right now to see if that works. If it doesnt what do you mean by changing the channel could you explain this to me? im not too good with computer tech.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you do to restore your connection on your iPad when this happens? Reboot router? Reboot iPad?

OP
G

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you do to restore your connection on your iPad when this happens? Reboot router? Reboot iPad?

I usually do nothing i just wait and the the ipad starts working with the internet again somehow if i try rebooting either it doesnt work i just wait around 10-15 minutes or longer and then it works again but this is very annoying since i do quite a lot of internet work and games on the ipad. It stays connected it just doesnt connect to the internet. wierd i know and this only happens on the ipad not for my mobile desktop or laptop im sure theres something wrong with the pad. im trying first suggestion now and ill see how it works out

Kieranbowley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.XBLN.net
gjunki said:
I usually do nothing i just wait and the the ipad starts working with the internet again somehow if i try rebooting either it doesnt work i just wait around 10-15 minutes or longer and then it works again but this is very annoying since i do quite a lot of internet work and games on the ipad. It stays connected it just doesnt connect to the internet. wierd i know and this only happens on the ipad not for my mobile desktop or laptop im sure theres something wrong with the pad. im trying first suggestion now and ill see how it works out

Sounds like the router rather than the pad to me.

OP
G

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gjunki said:

Sounds like the router rather than the pad to me.

how do u explain my laptop moblie and desktop always working fine while my ipad keeps disconnecting from the internet while it still is connected to the router yes i know when i say it like that it sounds like the routers problem but still everything works fine except for the ipad so yeah...

Kieranbowley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.XBLN.net
gjunki said:
how do u explain my laptop moblie and desktop always working fine while my ipad keeps disconnecting from the internet while it still is connected to the router yes i know when i say it like that it sounds like the routers problem but still everything works fine except for the ipad so yeah...

Like someone else said try changing the channel that the wifi is running on within your router settings, this could be causing the problem.

OP
G

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gjunki said:

Like someone else said try changing the channel that the wifi is running on within your router settings, this could be causing the problem.

what channel should i change it to?

Kieranbowley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.XBLN.net
gjunki said:

The recommended channels that don't interfere with household appliances are 1, 6 & 11.

Try one of those, although by default it's probably set to auto and has found it's way on to 6 already.

I have mine set on 11.

Reaction score
gjunki said:

Ideally change it to some channel that no one else is using.

Try running inSSIDer, it will list all wifi's, including what channel they are on. The channels go from 1-13, if you are on the 2.4GHz network, which you most likely are. So just pick your own channel accordingly.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

OP
G

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for the last 2 replies im going to try that ill try channel 11 now. also im going to download the program what specifically will that do? and yes i got 2.4ghz with channels 1-13 now i pick a channel and the ipad will connect to that channel and finally work?

Reaction score
gjunki said:
for the last 2 replies im going to try that ill try channel 11 now. also im going to download the program what specifically will that do? and yes i got 2.4ghz with channels 1-13 now i pick a channel and the ipad will connect to that channel and finally work?

inSSIDer will list all wifi networks in your neighborhood, so you can see exactly on which channels the other wifi networks are. Thereby giving you the choice of changing your own channel to an unused one. That program is used for wifi inspection purposes, nothing more, nothing less.

OP
G

gjunki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gjunki said:

inSSIDer will list all wifi networks in your neighborhood, so you can see exactly on which channels the other wifi networks are. Thereby giving you the choice of changing your own channel to an unused one. That program is used for wifi inspection purposes, nothing more, nothing less.

ooh ok thats pretty neat. So i see mostly there are 6 and 5's so i should change to something different in my router menu? i picked 11 now do i leave HT channel on 7 HT data rate auto, HT bandwidth 20/40, and HT guard on auto? and wireless mode on mixed 11b/g/n right?

Most reactions