What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quickoffice formula help!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm trying to set up a new spreadsheet and I'm doing something wrong but my brain is just not comprehending it at the moment.

Here is the problem, in the first image I am calculating a total of one cell minus another cell, this works fine. In the second image I m trying to calculate the previous answer multiplied by another cell......but it isn't working and despite all my efforts I can't get it to work.......your help would be most welcome.

image-13920750.png

image-1072198001.png

The Archangel

Last edited:

psy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have created spreadsheets with sums using quick office pro, I used brackets so the sum in the bracket was calculated before the next bit.... Your situation sounds more complex but I did find the help files on their web site very help full.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Gabriel1,
Nothing wrong with your formulas, it's all about the format!
See below, I used your formulas and there is no problem - just in the £/miles you put a "." as the decimal separator, I put the "," - do NOT ask me why this is not depending on the country settings in Quickoffice (or it might well be) - I am using the German setting on my iPad.....

Attachments

• image-2911709115.png
    image-2911709115.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 716

psy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recreated your sums in my quick office pro.
Try removing sum and brackets..... So. You have. =b3-a3. And. =c3*d3

Give that a go.....worked on mine. :)

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
Gabriel1,
Nothing wrong with your formulas, it's all about the format!
See below, I used your formulas and there is no problem - just in the £/miles you put a "." as the decimal separator, I put the "," - do NOT ask me why this is not depending on the country settings in Quickoffice (or it might well be) - I am using the German setting on my iPad.....

psy said:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. psy's solution worked so I am a happy bunny again and can keep my mileage updated!

The Archangel

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
psy said:

Justtrieditout - works fine with sum and brackets, but not with the . instead of the , on my sheet...

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
Justtrieditout - works fine with sum and brackets, but not with the . instead of the , on my sheet...

Maybe I need to change the formatting somewhere but at least it's working. I'll do a copy/paste of the whole sheet and play around with the formatting at the weekend.....not enough time to play during the week at the moment.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe I need to change the formatting somewhere but at least it's working. I'll do a copy/paste of the whole sheet and play around with the formatting at the weekend.....not enough time to play during the week at the moment.

The Archangel

A probably unnecessary explanation.

The SUM function adds up all the cells in a range. You don't put an arithmetic formula inside it; just the first and last cell in a range that you want to be added up. Say you wanted to add up cells A1, A2, and A3. You'd enter SUM(A1,A3) and you'd get the sum of all three cells. {Cell separators may differ from app to app, it might be SUM(A1:A3), I don't remember what Excel's separator was.}

You just wanted the difference and multiplication of two cells. The only functions you needed were the math operations inbetween, the (-) minus and (*) multiply operations.

Last edited:
OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to be a whiz on excel formulas but I seem to have had all my prior knowledge drained into my feet.......you are right, I didn't need to use the SUM function at all! I need to spend some time re-learning everything that I have forgotten!

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have to sympathize there. These days I often feel I spend more time relearning old skills than acquiring new ones. ;)

Fortunately, relearning is much easier than starting cold.

AyePad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to add up the values in a column in Quick Office Pro. One of the values is a negative number which I don't want to include in the total. In MS Excel I would probably just use SUMIF(A1:A100,>0). This would add up all cells in the range A1 to A100 which are greater than zero. Simple!

However, I can't find the SUMIF function in Quick Office and although it does have various other functions I can't quite work out which one to use. Each function does give you the format for the formula but not a detailed explanation or even some examples. I have tried browsing Quick Office Help but to no avail.

Does anyone know how to add up positive numbers ONLY or find a negative number in order to subtract it from the total?
Any suggestions on how to achieve this or other places to search would be greatly appreciated!

Och Aye the Noob!

AyePad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I solved my problem by using the IF Function.

My negative number was being generated by subtracting A1 from A2 when A2 had not had a value entered yet. So my formula in B2 was =A2-A1. Where A1 had a value of 125 and A2 was empty the value in B2 was -125.

I used the IF function to check if the value of A2 was empty or equal to zero and if so make B2 equal to zero otherwise carry out the subtraction as normal. So the new formula in B2 is now =IF(A2=0,0,A2-A1).

Now if I use the SUM function in Column B the answer is a positive value!

Simple stuff really but much easier if you can use the SUMIF Function to ignore negative numbers.

Oh Aye the Noob!!!!!

borryman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reckon you should enter thus: =Your previous answer * the other cell. Example: =C3*D3

Most reactions

Latest posts