What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions on Cartoon Network App

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have this app and understand how it works? Does this app work and can you view full episodes using 3/4G wireless or do you have to be at home using wifi? And does this cost you anything?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like you can only watch clips unless you get CATV through one of the providers listed when it asks you to log in or authenticate

OP
Diesel

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to finally log on using an account through AT&T but nothing works. Every video says authication error. Oh well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree, oh well. I got it before I realized the limitations. I don't have CATV (of any flavor) and have no interest in watching clips. But it was free, so no big deal.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I'd payed, that would suck. But since all I did was spend 2 minutes downloading it and 10 minutes fiddling, I'll go with just 'a bit disappointed'.

There seems to be a growing trend of video apps that are just 'an extra feature' to supplement traditional TV viewing. I believe the HBO app works this way too.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'd payed, that would suck. But since all I did was spend 2 minutes downloading it and 10 minutes fiddling, I'll go with just 'a bit disappointed'.

There seems to be a growing trend of video apps that are just 'an extra feature' to supplement traditional TV viewing. I believe the HBO app works this way too.

You're right. That is the way the HBO app works. Same with the new Showtime app. Not sure though why you'd be surprised, though. After all, the content providers charge for their service on TV on a monthly basis. Would you expect them to give it away on the iPad? I don't find it objectionable.

On the other hand, there are other pricing models that I do find to be a complete ripoff. MLB (Major League Baseball), for example, provides audio coverage of games on my laptop/desktop for $20 for the season. Fair enough. But I'm unable to access that subscription on the iPad and have to purchase a separate "mobile" app (At Bat) app at the same price. Even if I'm willing to plunk down $120 for full video access to all major league games on my computer, I have to purchase At Bat additionally for the iPad to access those games. And if I pony up $20 for the iPad and want the same access on my android phone, it's another $20.

Such "nickel and dimeing" to get the same service on different devices is very annoying.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
You're right. That is the way the HBO app works. Same with the new Showtime app. Not sure though why you'd be surprised, though. After all, the content providers charge for their service on TV on a monthly basis. Would you expect them to give it away on the iPad? I don't find it objectionable.

Not surprised at the profit model, just disapointed that it means I can't use the app to watch full cartoons. I can't get CATV where I live, not that I would any way; not for the few channels I might enjoy. That the developer and networks want money is a given, and I am willing to pay (within reason), or watch ads. In the meantime Hulu Plus is better than nothing.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:

Not surprised at the profit model, just disapointed that it means I can't use the app to watch full cartoons. I can't get CATV where I live, not that I would any way; not for the few channels I might enjoy. That the developer and networks want money is a given, and I am willing to pay (within reason), or watch ads. In the meantime Hulu Plus is better than nothing.

I understand your motivation and I apologize if my comment implied that you were trying to get programming for free. The problem is that cable tv content providers in general don't want to sell their services individually. Instead, they prefer to bundle their content with other "channels" in packages sold by cable companies. Opening the door to sale of individual channel content even over the internet would undermine that business model. Just one of many examples where completely "free" markets don't necessarily benefit consumers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
I understand your motivation and I apologize if my comment implied that you were trying to get programming for free. The problem is that cable tv content providers in general don't want to sell their services individually. Instead, they prefer to bundle their content with other "channels" in packages sold by cable companies. Opening the door to sale of individual channel content even over the internet would undermine that business model. Just one of many examples where completely "free" markets don't necessarily benefit consumers.

Don't worry about it. I wasn't. Just wanted to be clear where I was coming from. CATV is going to have to find a model that works better eventually. Probably not this year, or even in ten years, but as the internet gats faster and more content shows up people are going to start abandoning CATV unless they come up with some really compelling reasons to keep it.

OP
Diesel

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

The way I read it was they verified you had service with a cable company and thus already paying. But when I created an email with AT&T ( we actually have cable through AT&T), all it appeared to do was just verified I had an email with one of the listed providers? It didn't ask for any AT&T cable info.

Anyhow, as you mentioned, at least the app was free and only took a few minutes to fool with.

Kellykelly1995

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently realised how much I miss watching the old cartoons on cartoon network, so I went on the website of cartoon network and realised that there's an app. When I click on it from the website it tells me 'this request could not be completed' and when I type it in the search box of app store it doesn't give me anything... Help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not all apps are available in all countries. This is especially true of the media apps. The combination of different local laws and paranoid media companies have resulted in some really bizarre and often contradictory practices.

In this case though, you are not missing as much as you think. You can only see clips unless you have one of several Cable TV provider; and I think they are all in the U.S.

Kellykelly1995

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Not all apps are available in all countries. This is especially true of the media apps. The combination of different local laws and paranoid media companies have resulted in some really bizarre and often contradictory practices.

In this case though, you are not missing as much as you think. You can only see clips unless you have one of several Cable TV provider; and I think they are all in the U.S.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I got the app several months ago and was disappointed by it's limitations. Who knows, maybe they'll get smart and go to a subscription model. I'd pay a few dollars a month for the right shows.

Most reactions