What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions from a newbie

Comical Disaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I've just gotten a :ipad-front:32GB wi-fi only and have a few questions because I am confused...

1) The mail option can you put in your existing email for example a hotmail or do you have to make a bran new one?

2)I'll soon be taking classes at college for a small animal management course can anyone suggest thee best note-taking app or any other helpful apps?

2) My iPad won't reach 10 hours battery life for some reason....currently only about 2 or 3. How to I extend the battery life?

3) How do you arrange your photos into your own album....you know where you name the album, decide what pictures go where because right now it's just put them into either the day they were uploaded or last imported.

4) Can you delete those two songs on the iphone.. the Highway blues and Beetovan one or whatever they are.

May be more but if these could be answered then much appreciated. Thanks in advance!:D

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to tge forum! Here are some answers:

1) You can use your existing Hotmail account.

2) There are several. A search in this forum will give you a few threads with people commenting on which note taking apps the like and why. I have several note taking apps, but I use Documents To Go the most. SmartNote would be #2.

2b) Turn off things like Push Notification, Bluetooth, Location Services if you don't use them. Also, reduce the screen brightness and volume.

3) Make an iPad specific photo folder on your computer and sync it using iTunes.

4) Delete them using iTunes.

You would probably benefit from reading the iPad user guide. It answers most of your questions above. It's a bookmark in Safari on the iPad. There are also help files on apple.com.

Have fun with the iPad!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think you have to take it to apple, mine last for 10-12 hours even with push notifications from im+ and we rule.

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same model that you have and my battery lasts all day. I take it to work with me and have the iPod playing much of the time, play solitaire, et cetera, and when I get home from work, I usually have between 20%-40%, depending on how much work I did on it that day. I use it all evening and don't plug it in until bedtime. So yours definitely seems to be defective.

My battery life is reduced to perhaps 75% of its normal span if I'm using the Bluetooth keyboard, but it still survives the work day.

Regarding Hotmail, I haven't tried to integrate my Hotmail account. I know Hotmail is traditionally pretty stingy with POP3 access, but I saw some mention that they just approved syncing with the iPad, so it's worth a shot. I have four accounts integrated: two Gmail accounts and two from my own server, and it works as well as any other email client. It doesn't seem to reconcile sent items, but it still gets the job done.

For basic note taking, simply using Notes would be sufficient. I coughed up ten dollars for the Pages app, which is good enough but I haven't found that it's much more capable than Notes. It allows you to escape the yellow legal pad look, though.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with the others, 2-3 hours means something is wrong. If charging overnight doesn't give you 10+ hours of use, take it to Apple.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
10 to 12 hours is normal for the iPad unless you have screen brightness on full. I would also recommend taking it an apple store to verify that nothing is wrong.

Cheers col

OP
C

Comical Disaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay maybe I should time it or something, 2 - 3 hours was probably an understatment. However today it's be active and used heavily since 10:30 this morning and is now between 20 -10% as of 6:30.

Thanks for the replies and answers!

Another question though. I'm in the U.K, but can I get Netflix app on my iPad or only in the U.S?

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately only we Americans can get Netflix. I can understand that for the DVD-by-mail function, but now that they've become so popular for their streaming movies, they really should roll this out to the world. And I'd like to own stock in them when/if they do.

**EDIT**
The free trial still requires all of your information, as it includes at least one DVD shipped to you as well as the streaming capability. You're required to provide your CC#.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay maybe I should time it or something, 2 - 3 hours was probably an understatment. However today it's be active and used heavily since 10:30 this morning and is now between 20 -10% as of 6:30.
Not too bad then, depending on the definition of heavy use. I turn on around 9am and use it throughout the day for web and video (Netflix). With that I usually charge around 10:30pm.

I keep blutooth on, but only turn the headset or keyboard on if I need them. Brightness is set to Auto.

I am wifi only with dual transmitters in the house, so the iPad is never searching for signals.

melcullen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need help I cannot turn off the volume box off the center of my screen.

rugger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the photos app Can photos be deleted in the library (PHOTOS)?

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the photos app Can photos be deleted in the library (PHOTOS)?

Just open an album and touch the arrow at the top right. You're now in album edit mode, when you touch a picture it puts a check mark on each one. When you're finished selecting the photos you want to get rid of - just tap 'delete.'

(Did you realize you posted in a two year old thread?) The forum should auto-lock threads after a certain time of inactivity (imo).

Most reactions

Latest posts