What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions for new iPad owners

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) how's the speaker volume compared to the other IPads?

2) I've only been watching video reviews of it, how much of a difference is the screen in real life compared to the hd camera reviews?

3) do videos start playing almost right when you push play? YouTube and Netflix?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
1) speakers sound great i would say louder than my iPad first gen.

2) side by side the iPad 2 and 3 screens are not going to be a huge noticeability to the average person. iPad 3 does have better screen and you do get an overall feeling that everything is crisp. The difference is that with the new iPad if there are anything going on with the image you know its not from pixelation, its from the image itself. We still have not seen what the new screen will become with apps that take advantage of it.

3) completely depends on your location and connection.

My iPad first ten would start and play instantly after pressing start. not something that is iPads fault if it doesn't play right away.

OP
W

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well one of the things people were talking about is how instantaneously the video plays right when pushing play, because of the new chip.

billb1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I KNOW the speakers on the iPad3 are better than the iPad1. I have to wear hearing aids to watch TV, but don't like to wear them to sit around listening to music. I could hardly hear music on the iPad1 without hearing aids or headphones. But I can hear music on the iPad3 just fine without any hearing aids. VERY HAPPY here in Indiana.....

OP
W

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
billb1950 said:
I KNOW the speakers on the iPad3 are better than the iPad1. I have to wear hearing aids to watch TV, but don't like to wear them to sit around listening to music. I could hardly hear music on the iPad1 without hearing aids or headphones. But I can hear music on the iPad3 just fine without any hearing aids. VERY HAPPY here in Indiana.....

That's good, are you able to answer the other two questions?

billb1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's good, are you able to answer the other two questions?

I can tell you that MY videos don't look any different. They consist of ripped DVD's and some stuff I downloaded from YouTube. The original files were lousy to start with. The new screen didn't help them. You know what they say: You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****"....

I can tell you the videos on the iPad start right away. But they also performed quite well on the iPad1 for me. Good luck!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score

2) I've only been watching video reviews of it, how much of a difference is the screen in real life compared to the hd camera reviews?

3) do videos start playing almost right when you push play? YouTube and Netflix?

One.Volume seems to be the same as my iPad1, iPad2 and this new iPad--can't really tell the difference by ear.

Two. I have now watched several YouTube videos and have watched parts of the Tudors on Netflix I don't see a real difference. But I do notice in documents that the lettering is a lot crisper photos seem to be a lot crisper too.

Three. Starting videos or Netflix movies seem to be the same it really depends on how fast my Wi-Fi network is but opening webpages seem to be faster. The new iPad populates the screen a lot faster than the iPad original but not noticeably faster than the IPad2.

I am using the microphone dictation on this new iPad and it is really amazing.

L

Lunar

On the subject of sound quality, this is something I noticed almost immediately, it does have more volume, and seems to sound better, certainly when compared to my iPad 1, whether it's because the 3 now has a good sized rectangle area with a matrix of holes so the sound can get out more easily I don't know, in fact it's possible the iPad 2 also has them.. being same design shape, no idea, as I jumped from a 1 to the 3, but no complaints about sound loudness and quality here.

Another thing I noticed very quickly, was it's much faster at loading web pages than my ipad 1, no idea why, but most definately much faster over my gen 1 in that department. No idea how this compares to the iPad 2 which may be similar.

As for my thoughts on the screen, which is possibly why many current owners opted to buy it, well I think maybe I was expecting perhaps too much, as I feel a touch underwhelmed, maybe I was expecting something really super dupa...lol

Dont mis-understand me, the screen is very sharp indeed, especially for web browsing, but in fairness the previous ipad screens were infact pretty good anyway, when the 2 are placed side by side displayng the same images & text I can see the difference, it is better and sharper, but you wouldn't think the new iPad 3 had 4x as many pixels when you compare them, IOW it's not instantly obvious until you look closer, though the difference when you examine text with a magnifying glass the difference is instantly noticable (yes I know I'm sad.. I did use a magnifying glass)..lol

I have about 40 films ripped at 720x480 and they look very much the same to me, to be kind to the 3 though, & it may be wishful thinking on my part, they may look just a touch sharper, but I asked my wife which she thought looked the best and she picked the ipad 1... women eh..lol. This was for films/images from my iPad1 library.. IOW same files. So IMO yes they may just look a tad sharper... but..thats me..lol

The difference however is much more obvious when reading web pages and general text, it really is very much improved and quite noticable.

In conclusion, what I did try today was to rip a good bluray film and save it at the iPad 3's native res, and I can tell you, it looked pretty impressive indeed, and certainly better than the display on my HD TV with the same bluray film.

Only problem with that, is, I only have about a dozen Bluray films, and certainly don't want all those on my iPad, many of my favourite films are quite old now and are on standard DVD format, which when ripped I keep down to around 1 to 1.4gb in size with quite a few under 1gb, this is using WinX or with Aiseesoft DVD to iPad software.. both work well. The Bluray rip came in at over 2.5gb at native res, so although you would need to rip at higher res at same bps to see major differences in pic quality I'm still unsure if I'm willing to sacrifce that much memory to each film.

More than likely I'll compromise and probably settle for settings somewhere inbetween, but IMO the only way to really see big differences in the quality of films is to rip them from Blurays at, or close to bluray quality, and I can't see many doing that. ie. It takes much longer and eats into your memory.
In reality I suspect many ipad owners don't even rip films to maximise the quality of their current iPads 1 & 2.

I needed a second iPad as my wife is wanting my other iPad so gave me a valid reason to upgrade, but if one is thinking of ungrading simply for the sake of it, then the decision is more difficult, there is nothing wrong with either the original iPad 1 or the later 2, and if your expecting miracles from the iPad 3, though you won't be disappointed, but you may wonder if it was worth paying out all that cash to do so... why did I.?.. simple, AIS I needed 2nd one, and at 68yrs of age probably have more money than sense..lol

Sorry for turning this into a book.. just the ramblings of someone well past his prime..lol

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You folks should open a book in iBooks and check that out. Also, Apple apps like Pages and Keynote look much better. Then there are the high res games.

As for movies....I have several hundred 1080p rips from Blu-ray. i keep them around in case I travel and want to take a few with me. Having the 64GB version helps, but I would not let them live on the tablet. Right now I'm looking at a TV show ripped from DVD...and frankly I don't see a good reason to rip any higher than that for an iPad. I'm almost two feet away while watching. Resolution makes little difference here. I can certainly notice and appreciate the text displayed on webpages. I notice it instantly.

The volume on my iPad 3 sounds identical to that on my old iPad 2.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

can I throw a question in with yours??

4) any apps not work with the new ipad because of the different display? (Hope this question hasnt been asked in another post but I thpought it would be best to ask it here)

Last edited:

kennyob46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the subject of sound quality, this is something I noticed almost immediately, it does have more volume, and seems to sound better, certainly when compared to my iPad 1, whether it's because the 3 now has a good sized rectangle area with a matrix of holes so the sound can get out more easily I don't know, in fact it's possible the iPad 2 also has them.. being same design shape, no idea, as I jumped from a 1 to the 3, but no complaints about sound loudness and quality here.

Another thing I noticed very quickly, was it's much faster at loading web pages than my ipad 1, no idea why, but most definately much faster over my gen 1 in that department. No idea how this compares to the iPad 2 which may be similar.

As for my thoughts on the screen, which is possibly why many current owners opted to buy it, well I think maybe I was expecting perhaps too much, as I feel a touch underwhelmed, maybe I was expecting something really super dupa...lol

Dont mis-understand me, the screen is very sharp indeed, especially for web browsing, but in fairness the previous ipad screens were infact pretty good anyway, when the 2 are placed side by side displayng the same images & text I can see the difference, it is better and sharper, but you wouldn't think the new iPad 3 had 4x as many pixels when you compare them, IOW it's not instantly obvious until you look closer, though the difference when you examine text with a magnifying glass the difference is instantly noticable (yes I know I'm sad.. I did use a magnifying glass)..lol

I have about 40 films ripped at 720x480 and they look very much the same to me, to be kind to the 3 though, & it may be wishful thinking on my part, they may look just a touch sharper, but I asked my wife which she thought looked the best and she picked the ipad 1... women eh..lol. This was for films/images from my iPad1 library.. IOW same files. So IMO yes they may just look a tad sharper... but..thGats me..lol

The difference however is much more obvious when reading web pages and general text, it really is very much improved and quite noticable.

In conclusion, what I did try today was to rip a good bluray film and save it at the iPad 3's native res, and I can tell you, it looked pretty impressive indeed, and certainly better than the display on my HD TV with the same bluray film.

Only problem with that, is, I only have about a dozen Bluray films, and certainly don't want all those on my iPad, many of my favourite films are quite old now and are on standard DVD format, which when ripped I keep down to around 1 to 1.4gb in size with quite a few under 1gb, this is using WinX or with Aiseesoft DVD to iPad software.. both work well. The Bluray rip came in at over 2.5gb at native res, so although you would need to rip at higher res at same bps to see major differences in pic quality I'm still unsure if I'm willing to sacrifce that much memory to each film.

More than likely I'll compromise and probably settle for settings somewhere inbetween, but IMO the only way to really see big differences in the quality of films is to rip them from Blurays at, or close to bluray quality, and I can't see many doing that. ie. It takes much longer and eats into your memory.
In reality I suspect many ipad owners don't even rip films to maximise the quality of their current iPads 1 & 2.

I needed a second iPad as my wife is wanting my other iPad so gave me a valid reason to upgrade, but if one is thinking of ungrading simply for the sake of it, then the decision is more difficult, there is nothing wrong with either the original iPad 1 or the later 2, and if your expecting miracles from the iPad 3, though you won't be disappointed, but you may wonder if it was worth paying out all that cash to do so... why did I.?.. simple, AIS I needed 2nd one, and at 68yrs of age probably have more money than sense..lol

Sorry for turning this into a book.. just the ramblings of someone well past his prime..lol
Good review-about on par with my same feelings about the new ipad(I went from iPad 2 to 3).

Most reactions

Latest posts