What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about restoring and rejailbreaking 4.3.3 on ATT and Verizon CDMA

mdbsat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. My buddy with the Verizon 3G + Wi-FI CDMA broke his screen and wants to restore his 4.3.3 JB that he used jbme.com to do and then rejailbreak after. I am trying to help him and I thought it would be pretty straight forward but it looks like there are differences with the Verizon ipad2 and the ATT.

The ironic part is now I need to do the same thing myself because something I loaded has now made my carrier say "not available" and after using pckgbackup it now says ATT (NULL).

Can we both simply download the 4.3.3 FW and use tiny umbrella to restore from a fresh 4.3.3 8j2 FW (in my case) and 4.3.3 CDMA 8j2 FW in case?

Is there something I am missing or should I just keep my JB and live with whatever the "null" says and he just bite the bullet and restore to 4.3.4 and live without a JB iPad2?

I was hoping, in my case to restore with to 4.3.3 with TU in the backround using iTunes. I am not sure what to do for my buddy with Verizon. If more details are needed please ask.

If I put this in the wrong section I hope a mod will move it, be gentle, I am new here :p

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you saved your SHSH blob for 4.3.3 with TU?
If not, an upgrade to 4.3.5 is all that you can do.
Same for your friend.

Did you uninstall whatever you installed that made the carrier say "ATT"?

OP
mdbsat

mdbsat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you saved your SHSH blob for 4.3.3 with TU?
If not, an upgrade to 4.3.5 is all that you can do.
Same for your friend.

Did you uninstall whatever you installed that made the carrier say "ATT"?

Yes, I uninstalled all I could think of that I had added. I finally used packagebackup to restore to last week and now at least my 3G works but I do not want this on my ipad2. This happened with my iphone4 and I found a site that told me to type something into terminal and it would show me where to download my carrier ipcc and it worked like a charm. I am not sure what to type to find the ipad2 carrier ippc. I have my 4.3.3 blobs saved on TU and they are saved on Cydia. In my case what should I do?

As for my buddy, I installed TU but did not get a chance to run it to see if his are saved on TU, I am sure they are saved on Cydia though. Thanks for the prompt response as I hate going to bed with my stuff messed up:p

OP
mdbsat

mdbsat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you have SHSH, you are very lucky.

Close iTunes and any other open stuff. Open TU. Start the "TSS server". Open iTunes.

Sync iPad first. Then use DFU mode (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html) and do a shift-restore and select the 4.3.3 software. You can then go to jailbreakme.com and re-jailbreak.

That is what I thought for mine but I wanted to make sure. You have been GREAT! If my buddies are saved on TU can he do the same? I downloaded his FW just incase the answer is yes. So it needs to be saved on TU or will the SHSH blobs being saved on Cydia be enough?

Also, I have restored so many times on various iphones and my first iPad. Do you recomend when it asks to restore from backup that I restore from one of my last few backups or start fresh with a clean install? Does it matter? Thanks again!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your buddy has shsh saved on TU he can do exactly the same as you.
If his is saved on Cydia, then click on the advanced tab of TU and check the box "set hosts to Cydia on exit". Reboot and do the iTunes restore. But if he needs a clean restore to stock, he needs to uncheck that box and reboot.

I would just restore from a backup to save all your app data and stuff.
I didn't restore from a backup the last time just because I install a lot of bogus stuff and I didn't want any chance of it slowing down my new install. It's a personal choice.

OP
mdbsat

mdbsat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your buddy has shsh saved on TU he can do exactly the same as you.
If his is saved on Cydia, then click on the advanced tab of TU and check the box "set hosts to Cydia on exit". Reboot and do the iTunes restore. But if he needs a clean restore to stock, he needs to uncheck that box and reboot.

I would just restore from a backup to save all your app data and stuff.
I didn't restore from a backup the last time just because I install a lot of bogus stuff and I didn't want any chance of it slowing down my new install. It's a personal choice.

I cannot thank you enough. I am starting on mine now. :D

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A word of caution. When the cause of the problem you had has not been identified, restoring from backup may not be the best plan. Particularly when it seems to be carrier settings related. YMMV.

OP
mdbsat

mdbsat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A word of caution. When the cause of the problem you had has not been identified, restoring from backup may not be the best plan. Particularly when it seems to be carrier settings related. YMMV.

Yeah, I thought about that and I have done it both ways in the past. So far I backed up from a week before the problem and nothing has happened...yet :)

As for my friends iPad 2 I would like to help him out as well but do not want to mess his up. It is different when you are messing with your own stuff. I have his particular Verizon 4.3.3 CDMA downloaded for him.

I know his 4.3.3 blobs are saved via Cydia. I installed TU on his computer but did not get to go any further. I will attempt to help him restore long enough to go to the Apple store tomorrow. I was just wondering if for some reason I cannot get TinyUmbrella to run or it doesnt show that the 4.4.3 blobs are saved but I still them see them in Cydia on his device - can I still restore using the restored 4.3.3 CDMA FW by just editing his host files?

From what I understood TU just cuts that process out but I could be totally wrong. Thanks in advance guys:D

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could edit the hosts, but it is likely to be problematic. Follow this tutorial here exactly as written and it will let TU download his blobs from Cydia, then set you up perfectly to restore.

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Once you've done the tutorial, just press "Start TSS Server" in TU and Shift-Restore the 4.3.3 CDMA firmware for his iPad. The rest should be automatic. Remember, he will need to then sync with his own PC after the resort (assuming you are doing it on yours). Don't set up the sync partnership with your PC.

Most reactions

Latest posts