What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question regarding apple wireless keyboard

miwealia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard that the apple wireless keyboard was made specifically for macs, and when you use it with an ipad, some of the keys don't function the same. Could anyone tell me which of the keys don't function the same with an ipad as with a mac? Thanks.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, my case is special because I use a French Bluetooth keyboard. All of the accented letters don't work, most special characters like question marks are not on the keys that show them. The toggle button for keyboard and language that's in the virtual iPad keyboard does not seem to have an equivalent. And worse, spell checking is off!

I can't seem to find the right settings...

OP
M

miwealia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, iVan, :) but I'm not sure that answers my question. Does anyone who types in English know which keys don't function with the ipad?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thing is that I'm perfectly bilingual and that I switch from one language to another several times a day. What the iPad does perfectly by itself in its keyboard does not seem to happen with a Bluetooth Apple keyboard.

OP
M

miwealia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a mac that you can use the wireless keyboard with, to see how it acts differently than when you use it with your ipad?

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of blog posts out there on this do a search. I have the BT Keyboard and it is mainly stuff like FN keys Home key etc. All general typing stuff works. If you want to find the link I know I have one on my site flightcrewlife.com in an article I wrote about the iPad. I also have the camera connection kit and the 1 usb keyboard I tried worked fine.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this is a little late.. but I just bought the Apple wireless keyboard. It woks great. The brightness keys work, as do the volume and mute keys. The "eject" looking key in the upper right corner makes the on-screen keyboard appear. Caps lock works. The arrow keys work in some places, like moving around a text box (like the one I'm typing in now). Tab works. The music control keys work.

The ones that don't seem to do anything are the ESC key, the fn, control, option, and command keys. The "show all wondows" and the key next to that, which looks lie a meter of some sort, doesn't do anything.

I'm loving the keyboard. I can type a lot faster and with fewer errors than with the on-screen keyboard. I also don't have to switch to numbers or symbols. Very light weight and thin. Well thought out.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also - the 'tilde' key (wiggly horizontal line), when pressed, will wake your ipad out of sleep mode - very handy.

I would be curious if someone has written an apple bluetooth keyboard guide.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip... it looks like any key wakes up the iPad -- without having to swipe the screen! Nice!

Yeah, a guide would be nice... and hopefully Apple is going to continue to make improvements to the interface. For instance, when you start to type in a URL in Safari and it comes up with a list of previously visited URLs underneath, you SHOULD be able to press the arrow down and get to those options instead of having to touch the screen.

Oh, and on the "got it right" list is the fact that the backspace key works like it would on a computer. It does NOT backspace a few spaces then start deleting two words at a time like the on-screen backspace key. I like that!

Oh, and SHIFT plus arrow keys does highlight text like it would on a computer.

JulieNSW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong but I Can't get a tilde on my ipad. You know the curly dash. If someone knows how please tell me!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the onscreen keyboard, tap [.?123] then [#+=]. It's four keys in on the middle row.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

D

Deleted member 247820

If you Google "Apple wireless keyboard shortcuts for iPad" you will get plenty of advice.

I have an elcheapo knockoff Apple bluetooth keyboard and all the Apple short cuts work fine.

Most reactions