What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Reset and Restart

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for such a dumb question but I have seen this several times before and do not understand the difference. I have searched for an answer but all I really come up with are pages telling you how to do each one.

What is the difference between this:

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

and this

Reset the iPad:You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.

The only difference I can see is the first one gives the little shut down icon and takes about 35 sec to start back up.

The second one does a hard shut down (just goes to a black screen) and I never see the Apple Logo. It also, as noted, takes MUCH longer to restart (upwards of 2+ minutes). Almost like it is rebuilding the file system?
Can someone explain the difference for me, pretty please....?:eek:

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may help you, remember, the little search button in the top left on every page.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/14358-reboot-respiring-definitions.html

Yep, I saw that. Don't assume that people don't use the search function just because you think you have found an answer by using it. We may have seen that and do not think that answers our particular question.
It still doesn't explain why when I use method number one it starts in about 35 seconds and when I use method number two it doesn't "reboot", it turns off hard (no round rotating icon in the middle, just full screen then black screen) and I have to start it myself by holding down the power/sleep button until the Apple appears and it takes over 2 minutes to boot.
So when Tinman says
So this has been referred to as a "hard" reboot--even though the result is exactly the same as a "soft" reboot.
it obviously isn't so on my device.

When f4780y said
It is exactly the same as holding down the power button on your laptop or desktop for 10 seconds (if you don't know what this does, I do not recommend you try it!)
I believe that would be like what I said here
The second one does a hard shut down
. See, I know what happens when you hold down the power button for 10 seconds on a desktop or laptop.

And, since the Apple website has this
Reset iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
that would be why I said the Apple logo doesn't appear, it just shuts down hard to a black screen and never turns back on by itself.

So, does anyone know what the difference between the two are (I know it doesn't close files correctly)? Why does the "slide the red bar" method only take about 35 seconds to boot and why does the "sleep and home" button method take over 2 minutes to boot? Is it purely because of the hard shut down or is there something else that happens.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you do a restart, you use the "slide to power off" function and you have to manually turn the iPad back on by pressing the sleep button until the Apple logo appears. When you do a restart, you are actually turning off your iPad, which is why you have to press and hold the sleep button to get it going again.

When you do a reset, you are doing what most people call a reboot (Apple just has to be different by calling it a reset versus a reboot). If you hold the two buttons down, and keep holding them down, eventually the Apple icon WILL appear. At that time, you release the buttons. Again, this is reboot of the iPad and you should not have to restart it using the sleep button, it will come back on it's own.

The restart takes a shorter time because you are merely turning off and then on the iPad. With the restart, you are, essentially, rebooting the iPad, which will take more time as the iPad does various system stuff. So, it takes linger.

Various system things happen "under the hood" in these two processes, but I don't know enough to tell you what. I hope this helps you understand a bit better. Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for such a dumb question but I have seen this several times before and do not understand the difference. I have searched for an answer but all I really come up with are pages telling you how to do each one.

What is the difference between this:

and this

The only difference I can see is the first one gives the little shut down icon and takes about 35 sec to start back up.

The second one does a hard shut down (just goes to a black screen) and I never see the Apple Logo. It also, as noted, takes MUCH longer to restart (upwards of 2+ minutes). Almost like it is rebuilding the file system?
Can someone explain the difference for me, pretty please....?:eek:
It's not a dumb question at all and since you're quoting one of my posts, perhaps I can help. The difference is simply between restarting and resetting the iPad (which I think you understand). It's very similar to putting a computer to sleep/on standby or rebooting it. Different things happen, different housekeeping takes place.

I think your confusion is with the restart process. You noted that during a reset the Apple logo never appears. If that's the case, you haven't held the Sleep/wake switch and the Home button down long enough. It generally takes at least 10 or more seconds for the logo to appear. This is the same for all iOS devices including the iPad, iPod Touch and the iPhone. As you alluded to, with a reset all running programs, fore and background are halted and restarted, caches cleared, etc.

Ultimately resetting your iPad can often solve issues that simply restarting it may not.

Here is the short list of things you can do to resolve problems with the iPad...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Reinstall Apps: While the app is closed press and hold its icon until all of the icons on your screen begin to jiggle. A black circle with an “X†will appear in the upper left-hand corner. Tap on the “X†and confirm that you want to delete the app. Reset the iPad (using the instructions above).

Open the App Store App and tap on "Purchased" in the bottom toolbar. Locate the app you just deleted. Tap on the download button (cloud) and the app will be reinstalled. (Downloading any app already purchased again is free).

Apps that require logins, etc. will need to be set up again. More here:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

Hope that helps.

Also, everyone should be respectful to other members of the forum whether you're asking or answering a question. You get what you pay for here but we expect all of our members to be polite to one another. TIA.

Most reactions

Latest posts