What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Warranty and iOS 5

sannesley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an ipad 2 and have seen them as low as £400. This is the price for a US "brand new in box" 32Gb WiFi model.

I am assuming that an ipad 2 from the US would not be covered under warranty in the UK whereas an ipad 2 bought from the UK would have a years warranty?

Also the version of the operating system on this ipad 2 is 4.0. The lastest version of the OS is iOS 5. The Apple store online are selling the same ipad 2 for £479 for the 32Gb WiFi model. This gets you iOS 5 and iCloud. If I bought an ipad with iOS4 on it would it be simple to upgrade to iOS 5 and would iCloud be extra?

All answers appreciated

Steve

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure on the warranty thing but the upgrade to OS5 is free and easily doable if you get a unit with OS4.x.x on it. iCloud gives you some free storage but if you need a lot then you will have to pay for it. Hope that helps.

OP
S

sannesley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I bought an ipad 2 with OS4.x.x and upgraded to OS5 the basic level of iCloud, the 5Gb storage, would be free?

I'm not sure if iCloud is a special offer you get by buying the ipad 2 with OS5 from the Apple Store or if it's available to everyone once they upgrade to OS5?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if I bought an ipad 2 with OS4.x.x and upgraded to OS5 the basic level of iCloud, the 5Gb storage, would be free?

I'm not sure if iCloud is a special offer you get by buying the ipad 2 with OS5 from the Apple Store or if it's available to everyone once they upgrade to OS5?

Yes - you get the storage for free when you do the upgrade. The units that Apple sells already have all that on them but they dont get any special deal that Im aware of.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The warranty on an iPad is worldwide, so you can take it to an Apple store in the UK and get the same treatment as someone who bought theirs here in the UK.

The Archangel

OP
S

sannesley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So for £479 I can get a brand new ipad 2 with OS5 already installed or for for £410 I can get the equivelant model from eBay with a 90 day seller warranty. The £70 dearer would give me a years international warranty and peace of mind over the 90 day sellers warranty methinks

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Gabriel says, you would get a one year warranty from Apple UK on a USA model as it is worldwide. What you might not get told by an Ebay seller is the date that warranty started, i.e. if they purchased from Apple in July, your warranty would have alread used up 4 months. Takes yer chances.

Oh, and if Customs get their hands on it you will get a bill for tax

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts