What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the ipad wall charger.

willowzxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought my ipad I also got an iphone. I thought all the stuff was interchangeable. For the most part I was right. The only thing not being the same is the wall charger and I would assume the car charger. Here's my problem. I had the iphone and all it's accessories mixed in with the ipad ones. So when it came to the charger I don't know if the one I have is the iphone one or the one for the ipad. Oh also to make this more confusing one of the wall chargers vanished. The one I have says 10w and when I plug it in to the ipad it gets insanely hot. I left it in there for over an hour and I thought it was going to blow up. My question is am I using the iphone one. Or is the iphone adapter 5w?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The ipad charger is 10W.
Both will work with the ipad, the 10W charger will charge the ipad the fastest.

iphone should not be plugged into the 10W charger.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 10 watt charger might get ever so slightly warm (I am charging mine right now and I checked), but if it gets "insanely hot", it sounds like there is something wrong with it.

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wrong. You can charge an iPhone just fine with the iPad's AC adapter. It won't harm anything.

To the OP.....if your iPad charger is getting insanely hot when charging the iPad it is defective and needs to be replaced. Also, make sure it's in fact an iPad adapter and not an iPhone adapter. Plugging an iPad into an iPhone adapter will overload the iPhone adapter and cause it to get hot.

thecarrot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep just make sure you match up the ipad charger with the ipad...iphone can go with either one just fine ( I know from experience as well)

OP
W

willowzxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPhone adapter say 10w on it. If so I think I've been using that one.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPhone adapter say 10w on it. If so I think I've been using that one.
I guess I could have taken a better picture, but its almost 1:00am!

10watt.jpg

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not? I charge my 2 iPod Touches with it all the time with no issues.

From Apple's site:
Q: Can I use this 10W adapter to charge my iPhone or iPod as well?

A: Yes; the key to this charger is that it has a maximum "draw" of 10W (2A at 5VDC). Other devices still use the 5VDC supply, but draw at much lower amperages. This will not cause a problem for a device that has a lower draw.
So the punchline is that you can safely charge your iPod/iPhone with the 10W charger.

OP
W

willowzxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I missed the reply with the pick. Thanks for taking that. Yeah I think i'm using the iphone wall charger on the ipad. I'll jump on ebay and get another one for the ipad. I needed a car charger anyways. Maybe I can find a good kit.

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 10 watt adapter is for the iPad. If yours is getting hot then it's a good idea to get it replaced.

OP
W

willowzxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait now I'm confused. So the adapter he showed in the pick is the ipad adapter. What wattage is the iphone one?

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a sub note to this, my car charger for my iPod charges my iPad just fine. It is also a radio transmitter and that workes fine as well when the iPad is in Ipod mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts