What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about printing

firekicker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a IMac that I have put on my Windows network they both see each other I can move files from one to anther and vis-a-versa. It sees the prInter but when I try to print it says the it can't reach the printer. I have shut off the firewall on Windows PC and checked the one on the IMac and it shows that it is shut off. Can anybody help me out wih some info on how to get my IMac to print. Please Help.

Thanks firekicker

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Firekicker - welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I completely understand your issue(s) - does this have anything to do w/ printing wirelessly from the iPad?

If not, you seem to be asking about printing from your iMac to your printer; how is your network setup, i.e. wired, router, wireless, or a combination? I'll stop there and await your further explanation - Dave

OP
F

firekicker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. My network is wired for the IMac and the Windows PC. I can see the Windows PC from the IMac and also the IMac from the PC. I can move files from one to another. ie. music from PC to Mac. The IMac sees the printer I have the IP address of the PC in the Mac, both are on the same workgroup. When I try to print from the Mac it says that it is printing but then goes and times out saying that the printer is not responding.. But the printer works fine with my Windows machine and the Windows laptops that my kids and wife use. It's just the IMac. Again thanks Dave for answering and hope that you have some more insight for me.
Thanks Ken

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Ken - unfortunately, this is not an area of my expertise, i.e. networking printers - sorry. From your description, you appear to have properly setup 'File & Printer' sharing on the Windows side of your network. I do not own a Mac (just PCs & and iPad2) so not sure about establishing printing on a network w/ that machine. As starters, I would probably 'power recylce' the printer - a long shot but has worked for me a few times w/ a non-responsive printer. I would also check the printer's website to see if there may be a firmware upgrade that could help - other than those two suggestions, I can't offer much more - hope others in the same situation will 'chime in' - good luck. Dave :)

OP
F

firekicker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I have done that I'm not a Mac man myself but I got the IMac for free. Just trying to get it to print. Hope someone will give me some insight.

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
To setup the printer on your iMac go to System Preferences -> Print & Scan -> Click the + symbol to add a printer -> Choose the "Windows" tab (if your printer is shared through a networked PC). If you don't see the printer in that list, your problem is on the PC and shared printer settings, not the mac.

Don't forget to download the PPD from the printer manufacturer's website so that all the printer features and options are available. If not you'll end up using a generic post script driver. Good luck.

OP
F

firekicker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to think everybody that give advise. I don't know what I did but it just started to work. I restarted and that is when it started working. I guess I should have tried that first. So again thanks everybody. I am really enjoying this site.

Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts