What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about new ipad(ipad 3)

99saleen87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K guys I'm about a week away from buying my first iPad. Now I would like to know if the iPad's apps differ a lot from the iPhone's apps. I have the iPhone and I love it, wich I'm hoping I'm going to love my new iPad as well. Or can you consider this (just another iPhone) but bigger screen??? Thanx guys!!

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
99saleen87 said:
K guys I'm about a week away from buying my first iPad. Now I would like to know if the iPad's apps differ a lot from the iPhone's apps. I have the iPhone and I love it, wich I'm hoping I'm going to love my new iPad as well. Or can you consider this (just another iPhone) but bigger screen??? Thanx guys!!

Just consider it like an iPhone without the phone.

OP

99saleen87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maxtwo said:
Just consider it like an iPhone without the phone.

Ok then hopefully I won't regret buying it, being almost identical to my iPhone.

D

dvdcatalyst

The apps are pretty much the same, but of course there are many apps that have higher quality graphics for the iPad. Between the iPad 1/2 and the iPhone 4/4S the difference is a bit small, because the resolution is not that much different, but especially graphical stuff (images, comics, video etc) looks a lot better on the iPad3.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll be pleased. If you enjoy your iPhone apps, you will love iPad apps which tend to make good use of the larger screen.

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My suggestion, buy as much storage as your wallet will allow. Oh yeah!
Anyway, you will love it.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
99saleen87 said:

All iPhone apps are compatible with the iPad. You will constantly see updates for apps simply to introduce the retina display(if you're buying the new iPad) on top of all this there are apps specifically made just for the iPad community, much more complicated and in depth apps simply for the large 9.7" screen.

The iDevice Guru

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All iPhone apps are compatible with the iPad. You will constantly see updates for apps simply to introduce the retina display(if you're buying the new iPad) on top of all this there are apps specifically made just for the iPad community, much more complicated and in depth apps simply for the large 9.7" screen.

The iDevice Guru

I just have to jump in to provide this caution: all phone apps are NOT compatible with the iPad. The only ones that are compatible (and thus able to install/run on the iPad) are those with a white plus sign on the price button.

I don't think you can even download an incompatible app, but this is just in case. If you manage to get an iPhone-only app on an iPad (maybe via iTunes?), I don't even know if it'll run.

Just FYI...

Marilyn

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I just have to jump in to provide this caution: all phone apps are NOT compatible with the iPad. The only ones that are compatible (and thus able to install/run on the iPad) are those with a white plus sign on the price button.

The + sign merely indicates the the app has been optimised for both iphone and ipad, however the vast majority (I would say 99%) of iphone apps can be installed and ran on an ipad, its just that if they aren't optimised (i.e. no + sign) they will run in a window in the middle of the screen (a iphone sized window) or can be blown up to almost full screen using the 2x function of the ipad. I think the only apps that don't run on a ipad but do on a iphone are ones that use the camera and even then its probably only the ipad 1 it affects.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the benefits of the new iPad is that the iPhone apps w/o the plus sign look better doubled than they did on my iPad 2. The only apps that I wasn't able to install required GPS. The app store wouldn't even let me purchase them.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They probably would have installed if you had 3/4G on ipad 3.

I used a Touch for several years and husband has Iphone 4s--I can use my Ipad a lot more creatively and more "seriously" than I can use either of the others--I've had Ipad since Ipad 1, first month and am long long time PC user with laptops, custom built PC and the Ipad really changed my computer use, both how and where.

happy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
apple-zones.blogspot.com
It has a big difference from your iphone,and you can try to use the apps,it also feels different from your iphone,it feels great.I love my new iPad very much!

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

I don't think you can even download an incompatible app, but this is just in case. If you manage to get an iPhone-only app on an iPad (maybe via iTunes?), I don't even know if it'll run.

Just FYI...

Marilyn

I've done it, so I would imagine most others would be able to do so, some tweaking around iTunes and you're sorted.

The iDevice Guru

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An example of iPhone apps that are not compatible with the iPad are the various flashlight apps that use the iPhone flash to provide a source of emergency lighting,should you be caught in the dark.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
An example of iPhone apps that are not compatible with the iPad are the various flashlight apps that use the iPhone flash to provide a source of emergency lighting,should you be caught in the dark.

3G doesn't have the light feature either so it's not a standard iPhone app.

The iDevice Guru

Most reactions