What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmom22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. My 11 yr old son bought an Ipad with $$$ he earned selling newspapers. He was so excited that he just used 12345 as his password. Unknown to me he started using several chat sites - oovoo, kik, instagram, etc.., and one of them was hacked. The hacker used profane and perverted language aimed at 11 yr old girls on the chat.
The school has been alerted and they want to review the posts. I'm fine with that, but I want to somehow source the IP of the hacker to hopefully prove the perv was not my son, who is a low information tweenager, at least with sexuality. Also, someone who appears to be a classmate made an anonymous ID with a picture of a bloody vampire mouth. He/she is threatening one of the girls in the class, and formed an "I hate" so & so page. Parents and teachers are alarmed and asking that the principal review all the Ipads. I'm familiar with sourcing IPs on blog posts from a PC, but Macs are a mystery to me. Perhaps there's an app that might facilitate IP source of poster? All helpful information is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ccmom22 said:
Hoping someone can help. My 11 yr old son bought an Ipad with $$$ he earned selling newspapers. He was so excited that he just used 12345 as his password. Unknown to me he started using several chat sites - oovoo, kik, instagram, etc.., and one of them was hacked. The hacker used profane and perverted language aimed at 11 yr old girls on the chat.
The school has been alerted and they want to review the posts. I'm fine with that, but I want to somehow source the IP of the hacker to hopefully prove the perv was not my son, who is a low information tweenager, at least with sexuality. Also, someone who appears to be a classmate made an anonymous ID with a picture of a bloody vampire mouth. He/she is threatening one of the girls in the class, and formed an "I hate" so & so page. Parents and teachers are alarmed and asking that the principal review all the Ipads. I'm familiar with sourcing IPs on blog posts from a PC, but Macs are a mystery to me. Perhaps there's an app that might facilitate IP source of poster? All helpful information is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

If it was me I would be talking to the police, particularly when the hacker is aiming for 11year old girls. They have the expertise to quickly answer your questions and track this pervert. Please do so as soon as possible and good luck!

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you saying that the hacker was able to make these threatening posts under your son's username and account!?

If it were me, and given that the iPad is NOT public property, I would NOT allow the school access to the iPad. I second Rob Roy's advice: take this to the police. This is a legal issue, not an educational issue.

Schools can act as judge, jury, and executioner without normal protections provided by the legal system. But even if you choose to cooperate with the school, I would still bring this up to the police if you believe that these malicious posts have merit. I believe, also that the police are the proper course of action for computer crimes such as hacking and id theft.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The above advice is good. This is a police matter and needs turning over to them immediately.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to track down the hacker yourself by means of software or any other method. As has already been stated, do not turn the iPad over to the school either. They are not law enforcement, and may damage evidence that will be needed later on.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
C

ccmom22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I'm aware of the legal issues surrounding this matter. However I would like some technical advice, if available. Thanks again.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ccmom22 said:
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I'm aware of the legal issues surrounding this matter. However I would like some technical advice, if available. Thanks again.

I think you should carefully consider our suggestions ccmom. I realize you may be afraid of the repercussions but the police should be involved. As others have advised, do not allow the school to have access to the iPad. I personally do not know of a program that will display the IP address of the sender, maybe, no I am sure others here do but so do the police and they should be the ones to trace it to preserve the chain of evidence.

Again, good luck. :)

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should follow the above advice ccmom,i don't know if such software is available but the forum could not allow such information to be posted in any case,with that i will now close this thread,thank you for understanding.......good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions