What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about development of bluetooth app.

strad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question and could not find a clear answer so far.

My company is planning to develop an IPad app for usage in our lab. It should be possible to use a barcode or RFID scanner to sign the ipad on to a specific workstation. For example, i take my Ipad to a workstation, pick up the scanner and scan a barcode written on a machine, then continue my work. When finished, I would like to sign off the workstation by pressing a button on the ipad (or simply scan again). Now I know there are several bluetooth scanners on the market. With a android or windows pad it would probably be easy to connect the bluetooth device to the pad and scan away.
Is this also possible with the IOS sdk or is it completely forbidden to access devices other than Apple brand? It is clear that there does not exist such an option by default, the question is, is it even possible technically?

Thanks for the help

David

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, the Bluetooth Stacxk implemented in the iPad currently doesn't support anything other than Audio-devices and Keyboards.
Therefore, I would expect Scanners only to work if they identify as a keyboard and send their data as a stream similar to a keyboard.
I think it might be a good idea to simply connecti a scanner via Bluetooth to the iPad and checking whether it can emulate a keyboard, i.e. it's output is displayed as text, e.g. in Notepad.
If this is the case, you might be able to write that App.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My company is planning to develop an IPad app for usage in our lab. It should be possible to use a barcode or RFID scanner to sign the ipad on to a specific workstation. For example, i take my Ipad to a workstation, pick up the scanner and scan a barcode written on a machine, then continue my work. When finished, I would like to sign off the workstation by pressing a button on the ipad (or simply scan again). Now I know there are several bluetooth scanners on the market. With a android or windows pad it would probably be easy to connect the bluetooth device to the pad and scan away.
Is this also possible with the IOS sdk or is it completely forbidden to access devices other than Apple brand? It is clear that there does not exist such an option by default, the question is, is it even possible technically?

Thanks for the help

David

Guten tag

You can develop the app’s and that will work only on the iPad you have register as developer device , but you will never arrive to sell it in Apple store …. about that i am pretty sure as we are working on a special app’s and the Apple reply be really clear

OP
S

strad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for the help

David

Guten tag

You can develop the app’s and that will work only on the iPad you have register as developer device , but you will never arrive to sell it in Apple store …. about that i am pretty sure as we are working on a special app’s and the Apple reply be really clear

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean I can only distribute the app in our company, or does it mean I can only use it on one developer device? Company distribution would be sufficient, as we do not want to sell it in the app store.

regards, David

Most reactions

Latest posts