What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchase Questions

golfgame

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new here, as a matter of fact I have not purchased an iPad yet. I have a couple of question pertaining to iPads, particularly to the new version.

1. Can there be more than one user on an iPad, specificly the new iPad2 by that I mean can each have their own desktop/setup so to speak?

2. Can the newiPad2 be used to monitor more than one e-mail address?

3. Will the new iPad2 print to any WIFI enabled printer?

Thanks in advance
:)

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Pretty sure that's a no as there's no user log in screen etc. and they didn't mention any change like that for the new OS version launching with the iPad 2.

2. Pretty sure that's a yes. I think my girlfriend has both her work mail and her g-mail set up in the e-mail app on her iPad 1.

3. Think that's a no currently, but not totally sure. But from what I've read I think it has to be a wifi printer that supports Air Play or whatever it's called.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new here, as a matter of fact I have not purchased an iPad yet. I have a couple of question pertaining to iPads, particularly to the new version.

1. Can there be more than one user on an iPad, specificly the new iPad2 by that I mean can each have their own desktop/setup so to speak?

Thanks in advance

As the previous poster suggested, there is no 'log in' screen for the iPad, so not more than one user. Every person who uses your iPad will, more or less, have access to most everything that's on the machine - you can 'protect' some documents with third-party apps but they will have access to your email account....

Yes - the iPad can monitor more than one email account. I have mine monitoring several. Not sure if there's an upper limit - I've not seen it mentioned. However, in light of your previous point, there's no way of limiting access to these accounts. So, if you and a colleague at work shared the same iPad (and used the native Mail app) then you'd be able to see each other's email - well, unless you went to the trouble of entirely removing your account before you loaned the iPad to your colleague.

The iPad will print directly to any WiFi printer that supports Apple's AirPrint printing protocol. Only a limited number of printers do at present. However, there are third party apps that allow you to print to most any WiFi printer directly. I use 'Print N Share', which cleverly inserts itself into the printing menu of iPad apps that support in-app printing (not all do) and 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer. It then 'translates' the AirPrint printer protocol to a form that your non-AirPrint printer understands. There are a minority of printers that Print N Share does not support for direct printing - for those it can print via a free-to-download app that runs on your PC. This also works if your printer is not WiFi - perhaps connected to your PC by USB. Again, Print N Share then sends the translated printing protocol to the app that's on your PC, which then sends it over the USB interface to your printer. Sounds complicated, but it works just fine.

Tim
Scotland

IRV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anybody located a case that will fit over the case that apple is selling with the ipad 2. I dont like the idea of not covering back of ipad and am looking to use both at the same time.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd think any 10" netbook neoprene sleeve would hold both the iPad 2 and smart cover. That's the route I plan on going.

OP
G

golfgame

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks in advance

As the previous poster suggested, there is no 'log in' screen for the iPad, so not more than one user. Every person who uses your iPad will, more or less, have access to most everything that's on the machine - you can 'protect' some documents with third-party apps but they will have access to your email account....

Yes - the iPad can monitor more than one email account. I have mine monitoring several. Not sure if there's an upper limit - I've not seen it mentioned. However, in light of your previous point, there's no way of limiting access to these accounts. So, if you and a colleague at work shared the same iPad (and used the native Mail app) then you'd be able to see each other's email - well, unless you went to the trouble of entirely removing your account before you loaned the iPad to your colleague.

The iPad will print directly to any WiFi printer that supports Apple's AirPrint printing protocol. Only a limited number of printers do at present. However, there are third party apps that allow you to print to most any WiFi printer directly. I use 'Print N Share', which cleverly inserts itself into the printing menu of iPad apps that support in-app printing (not all do) and 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer. It then 'translates' the AirPrint printer protocol to a form that your non-AirPrint printer understands. There are a minority of printers that Print N Share does not support for direct printing - for those it can print via a free-to-download app that runs on your PC. This also works if your printer is not WiFi - perhaps connected to your PC by USB. Again, Print N Share then sends the translated printing protocol to the app that's on your PC, which then sends it over the USB interface to your printer. Sounds complicated, but it works just fine.

Tim
Scotland

Thanks Tim, you have been very helpful.
:):):)

Miss_Belex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More on golfgame's query....I have an IPAD that I use upstairs, but I want a IPAD2 for downstairs...preferably with the same data on both (e-mail, apps, etc)....would this be possible?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
No problem at all, in just restore from backup of your old iPad when you get a new one and everything will copy across.

Most reactions

Latest posts