What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Productivity iPad vs Asus transformer

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be clear, this is not a hate thread this is to weigh cons and pros, strictly in regard to productivity. A lot of android users never used iOS pages, or Apple users never used the keyboard dock.

I in particular want to know if someone here has used iOS pages and now use android, did you ever find something as good as pages?

I have the iPad 3, but really looking at the $370 transformer with the dock $150

Im just not sure how the resolution would pan out now that my eyes have been used to the iPad display...

I have a galaxy note but can't really compare the two..

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why are you looking at another tablet/keyboard when you already have one? What does the keyboard doc do for you that a blue-tooth keyboard won't do, other than longer battery life?

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the file system, and USB for one thing... I just don't know if I can live with the screen resolution...

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If money is no object then go ahead and try it, I still enjoy messing around with my old droids. However, if you plan to replace your iPad with the Transformer you will be very disappointed. I was curious about it when the Transformer came out so I traded an RC Heli for one on craigslist. Fun to mess with but it is no replacement for an iPad. And yes, the screen will bother you if you are used to the new iPad. Especially since the majority of apps you download from google play will be blown up phone apps.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
no1up said:
Well the file system, and USB for one thing... I just don't know if I can live with the screen resolution...

Get an air stash.....or get Dropbox and good reader.....but if you want to use pages, it will work off the air stash just fine. There is nothing you can do on android that you can't find a way to do on iOS. I have two Droid tablets and a droid phone.

Of course, by summer the tf700 will be out with that 1080p screen....you won't be giving up much in the way of screen...but in case you haven't noticed, all of the droids are dropping direct USB ports....on the most recent asus tab, you have to go through the connector to get USB. An air stash is much cleaner.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an air stash.....or get Dropbox and good reader.....but if you want to use pages, it will work off the air stash just fine. There is nothing you can do on android that you can't find a way to do on iOS. I have two Droid tablets and a droid phone.

Of course, by summer the tf700 will be out with that 1080p screen....you won't be giving up much in the way of screen...but in case you haven't noticed, all of the droids are dropping direct USB ports....on the most recent asus tab, you have to go through the connector to get USB. An air stash is much cleaner.

Yup, the tf700 will be announced, a release date will be set, pushed back, pushed back again, Asus will flop its launch, no units will be found anywhere, major issue discovered, new model rumored. That is how I see it happening again. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup, the tf700 will be announced, a release date will be set, pushed back, pushed back again, Asus will flop its launch, no units will be found anywhere, major issue discovered, new model rumored. That is how I see it happening again. :)

No way that could happen again! :)

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol that's exactly what keeps happening with them!

Quick update, I went to bestbuy to buy the tf300 I wanted to test it out, but right next to this was the prime. After trying out the screens the tf300 was to dull, and nothing I could do to make it better. While the prime looked a looked a heck of a lot better after reading on it for a few minutes, my eyes started to strain... I have to have a hd display now! Thanks iPad... Lol

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned the Xoom, gt tab 10, tf101, and prime.

I ended up selling them all and getting the new iPad.

Most of the differences are largely cosmetic and honestly..minor. Widgets, live wallpaper, on board USB, hdmi, microsd card...those are nice, but not reasons to want to use the device.

And those can all generally be had with a work around or add on with the iPad.

If you're going from the iPad to android, youre losing features. There's no work around for the lack of, and lesser quality of the same app. There's no work around for the less smooth, fluid, and less capable stylus experience. There's no iTunes university on android, or anything similar.

I waited three years on android for a music notation app before I switched to apple...apple has two biggies, with a third on the way. Same for the quality of apps on apple...there are soo many nice anatomy apps, drug references, etc on ios that don't exist on android.

I can live without widgets, live wallpaper, a dock keyboard, microsd etc...notifications, a bluetooth keyboard, Dropbox and a wifi hard drive are perfectly fine with me. so is using the hdmi dongle when needed..

What I refuse to live without though on a tablet, are the lack of apps, giving up a practical stylus experience, etc etc. that's stuff the iPad provides. And I like waking up to my The Daily subscription..

Btw - pages is the best word document app I've used across android and iOS. Polaris lacked some of the formatting options (at the time I used it last), and it was a less refined and smooth experience writing a paper with it. There was also a random event crash bug last I used it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol that's exactly what keeps happening with them!

Quick update, I went to bestbuy to buy the tf300 I wanted to test it out, but right next to this was the prime. After trying out the screens the tf300 was to dull, and nothing I could do to make it better. While the prime looked a looked a heck of a lot better after reading on it for a few minutes, my eyes started to strain... I have to have a hd display now! Thanks iPad... Lol

There is nothing wrong the the tf300's screen...it is just not a super IPS screen like that on the Prime. The prime is made to be used outdoors in sunlight...if the screen was turned up, then no wonder your eye started to strain...the tf300 is a good tablet...might be the best Android around now...with the possible exception of the Acer A510.

eep02b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have both an iPad 2 and a transformer. From an app perspective, the iPad has the transformer beat hands down. The OS is super smooth, fast, stable, and the apps on it such as pages, nocs, and notability are nothing short of amazing. There are definitely usable apps on the transformer, but they are nothing compared to the iPad. Where the transformer excels is more of a hardware/OS standpoint. The fact that you have access to the file system on android is so amazing. One file, multiple programs. No need to use iTunes to transfer files. Far superior offline file management support. And that's not even talking about the keyboard with the extended battery. For me it came down to apps though. There are certain apps I can't live without, and that's what swung me to my iPad.

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really liked the transformer, I can't wait for the infinity. For now, the screen was to dim, might have just been the fact that we were I'm the store, and the store lighting was what through it off? For now though Ill stick with the iPad 3.

My eyes are very sensitive, and the text is what hurt my eyes, not the brightness. The brightness was needed to see the screen. :)

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have both an iPad 2 and a transformer. From an app perspective, the iPad has the transformer beat hands down. The OS is super smooth, fast, stable, and the apps on it such as pages, nocs, and notability are nothing short of amazing. There are definitely usable apps on the transformer, but they are nothing compared to the iPad. Where the transformer excels is more of a hardware/OS standpoint. The fact that you have access to the file system on android is so amazing. One file, multiple programs. No need to use iTunes to transfer files. Far superior offline file management support. And that's not even talking about the keyboard with the extended battery. For me it came down to apps though. There are certain apps I can't live without, and that's what swung me to my iPad.

What advantage has the file system been to you?

I thought it was a "must have" too, but then I opened good reader, saw the options to open the same document in a number of programs, and wondered what the advantage actually was with the file system..

Plugging a USB stick in and transferring files was nice, but...Dropbox has worked great since I switched..

Just curious..

eep02b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing about Dropbox and to some extent good reader, they are both cloud based. The benefit of a file system is that I can transfer files physically with no need for the cloud. If I need to open a file and I'm nowhere near data, I can still open it. If I need to transfer files and have no sync cable,I eject my memory card and save it to that. Switching files, especially big ones between my phone and tablet is super easy. The iPad is no slouch in the file manager dept, especially considering where they used to be, but it still has a long way to go before being on a dedicated file systems level.

milkmilklemonade said:
What advantage has the file system been to you?

I thought it was a "must have" too, but then I opened good reader, saw the options to open the same document in a number of programs, and wondered what the advantage actually was with the file system..

Plugging a USB stick in and transferring files was nice, but...Dropbox has worked great since I switched..

Just curious..

Most reactions