What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with itunes account on ipad

Bob and Louise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! Hope all is going well for everyone. My wife and I just purchased a new iPad which we're very happy with but in the course of setting up the itunes account for use in conjunction with the ipad, I've made a mistake and can't find a way to correct it. Any advice would be much appreciated. What I've done is as follows:

I setup an original itunes store account complete with user ID, my credit card number and password. We then downloaded ibooks onto the ipad when setting it up and synced to the computer which has the itunes account.

Things worked fine until I did two things: First, I changed the Apple User ID (to my wife's email address instead of mine as the setup is on her computer) and change the password as required as well. Secondly, I redeemed a $50.00 ibooks gift card and put it on this now revised account. The credit is there, the account is fine but the ipad still has the original account information on it. When I try to change the account information under "Settings....Store....Sign In...on the ipad, I'm advised that the new ID that I type in is already in use and not valid. The ID is my wife's email address that I used in the newly revised account.

In short, we have an itunes account on the main computer and a different account showing up on the ipad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the ipad account so it dovetails with its counterpart in the iTunes store?

Any advice would be most welcome as we try and solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Bob and Louise.

Reaction score
Have you synchronized the ipad with iTunes after changing the account ID in iTunes? This might solve the problem automatically.

If nothing else works, you can always go to Settings->General->Reset->Reset all content and settings. And then activate the iPad again via iTunes.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the ipad account so it dovetails with its counterpart in the iTunes store?

Any advice would be most welcome as we try and solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Bob and Louise.
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

On your iPad, you can go into Settings then Store --

ipad34.png

From there, sign out of the account and the when you go back into the Store, you can sign in with the new account name, but do not create a new account since you already created one on your PC --

ipad35.png

carioca10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still get stuck in the same account on App Store

Device: New Ipad or Ipad 3 Celullar 64 GB
iOS: 5.1 JB

I have tried both and no success. I am still getting stuck in one account on App Store. Even if I log on another account, I can only buy or update Apps with the other account.

I am thinking in restoring (reinstall iOS 5.1) and JB it again.

Please any thread on the forum about it?

Regards,

Felipe

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Device: New Ipad or Ipad 3 Celullar 64 GB
iOS: 5.1 JB

I have tried both and no success. I am still getting stuck in one account on App Store. Even if I log on another account, I can only buy or update Apps with the other account.

I am thinking in restoring (reinstall iOS 5.1) and JB it again.

Please any thread on the forum about it?

Regards,

Felipe

Unfortunately, you can no longer revert back to iOS 5.1. Once upgraded, Apple has locked the stable door.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the ipad go to settings then iCloud and put in the account info you want to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carioca10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can no longer revert back to iOS 5.1. Once upgraded, Apple has locked the stable door.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In fact, maybe you can with the redsnow utility tool, but there is a problem with "OTA (Over The Air) update". I have tried but failed, I probably did something wrong:

Dev-Team Blog

"...
2. You DO NOT QUALIFY for iOS5-to-iOS5 restores if you got to your current 5.x via an OTA update
  • the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
  • even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind†of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
  • devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify†category (your results will vary)
  • it’s okay if you previously got to 5.x via an OTA update, as long as your current 5.x was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your current 5.x most recently
  • redsn0w detects an OTA/normal-restore APticket mismatch very early, so if you don’t know your status there should be no harm in trying. Any device in recovery mode after such a mismatch can boot normally again just by going back to “Even More†screen from the “Restore†screen (or use “Recovery Fix†if you quit redsn0w before doing that).
..."

I will try again later.

Thanks for your support.

carioca10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the ipad go to settings then iCloud and put in the account info you want to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mini_mi,

Some Apps are also not funcioning well so I need really to restore, but if everything fails, I will at least try to fix the account issue by using your tip.

Thank you.

Last edited:

carioca10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Apple: bye!

Besides devaluating my Ipad 3 by discontinuing it in 7 months.

Now they own it from me, because Apple decided I can only upgrade to iOS 6.x, and forbid me to restore to iOS 5.1.1!

I notice that other firms like HTC use the same "OTA update" method of "jailing" you.

What OTA means

[Moderator edit: Removed link to external iPad-related web site. Please read our rules. Thank you.]

Sorry, be welcome!

Last edited:

Most reactions