What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Gmail

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been having a slight glitch with my gmail app since I downloaded iOS 7. I have a few different email addresses and I have two that show that I have new emails. One shows 3, the other says 9. I don't have any new emails. Is there any thing I can do to make those numbers go away? It's bugging the OCD part of my brain. Thanks!

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the yahoo account in stock Mail app. It shows 3 emails but I've checked every folder there and they're all empty.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your accounts using the webmail sites and see what that says. If it's good, my recommendation is to delete and re-add the accounts on the problem devices. It will be far easier than trying to track down a few stuck emails and unstucking them, if that's even possible.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your accounts using the webmail sites and see what that says. If it's good, my recommendation is to delete and re-add the accounts on the problem devices. It will be far easier than trying to track down a few stuck emails and unstucking them, if that's even possible.

Thanks for the advice. I checked my yahoo mail account on a desktop browser, no joy. I removed and re-added yahoo to the Mail app and the problem persists. I've heard others with this same problem so I'm thinking there is a glitch in the Mail app. Wish I knew how to contact Apple directly, I'd file a bug report.

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went thought and deleted all the old emails; it needed to be done anyway. These aren't my primary email addresses and there was a lot of spam to clear out. That took care of the mystery email count.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I checked my yahoo mail account on a desktop browser, no joy. I removed and re-added yahoo to the Mail app and the problem persists. I've heard others with this same problem so I'm thinking there is a glitch in the Mail app. Wish I knew how to contact Apple directly, I'd file a bug report.

If you back out to the Mailbox list, then select the account under the Account list, can you see unread counts next to any folders? I've cleared mystery unread emails by chasing them dow this way before.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you back out to the Mailbox list, then select the account under the Account list, can you see unread counts next to any folders? I've cleared mystery unread emails by chasing them dow this way before.
Excellent advice! Yep, the message count is for the inbox of my Yahoo account. But, when I go into that inbox I see only the "No Mail" message in the center of the screen. I've sent bug reports to both Apple and Yahoo, so hopefully this will be resolved at some point.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh well. Hopefully it will get caught in the next update.
I'll check this again after iOS 7.0.1, or whatever they name it. For now I've taken to using the Yahoo mail app and removed the account from the stock Mail app. Hopefully this workaround can help others.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll check this again after iOS 7.0.1, or whatever they name it. For now I've taken to using the Yahoo mail app and removed the account from the stock Mail app. Hopefully this workaround can help others.

iOS 7.0.1 was a really small update. Doubt it addressed anything in the core applications.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, ok, I'm guessing 7.0.1 was for the 5s and 5c only.. my iPhone 5 is fully up-to-date and shows 7.0.

It was for the new phones only. Suspect 5.0.2 will be out very soon for all devices to start addressing these issues.

Most reactions