What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Automatic Downloads

WonderPam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to turn On the Automatic Downloads for music, apps & books from the Store setting on my iPad 2. However, when I click to change the settings from off to on, it automatically switches back to off. I have an iPhone 4S & it works fine, but I can't get my iPad 2 to do the same. Also, when I go on iTunes via my laptop, my iPad is not listed as one of the managed devices for my apple id. It only shows my iPhone & my laptop. Any suggestions?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try connecting (USB) your iPad to the computer that you set it up with...your laptop? When iTunes opens you should see your iPad listed in the left-hand menu. In iTunes click on "iTunes" in the top toolbar > Preferencs > Store. Check the boxes for Automatic Downloads. Click "OK". Now click on your iPad in the left-hand menu and then on "Apply" or "Sync" down in the lower right-hand corner. Then on your iPad open the Settings App > Store (left-hand menu) > and try turning Automatic Downloads for each item on again.

OP
WonderPam

WonderPam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rich, I completed the steps that you suggested from my iPad and iTunes (on my laptop which is where I originally set up my iPad), but I am still not able to change the automatic download settings on my iPad 2. Thanks for the suggestion though! Also, I mentioned in my original post that my iPad was not listed as one of the managed devices on iTunes. I should clarify that the managed devices are under iCloud. My iPad backs up to iCloud, the option to back up to iCloud under summary on iTunes is checked, but it is not listed under iTunes in the Cloud managed devices when I click to view my account information for the iTunes store. Hope that makes sense. This is very frustrating!

OP
WonderPam

WonderPam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I resolved my issue by resetting my iPad to factory settings, then uploaded my information that had backed up to iCloud and iTunes. Now, my iPad is listed as one of the managed devices and all seem to be working fine. I don't know that I would recommend this as a solution for others, but this drastic measure seems to have resolved the issues that I was having. This manner did have it's consequences though. I had to reenter all of my information on apps that I had installed, I lost some information within some applications, I had to redo all of my settings, etc. I also lost an expansion pack that I had purchased for a game that I enjoy (Word Solitaire), though I am attempting to communicate with the developers and hopefully get that matter resolved.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you were able to get things ironed out. Like you I actually did a full recovery (reset to factory settings) on my iPad...didn't even use my backup, just started fresh. I cleaned out a lot of apps I really didn't use and such. Although setting up a few apps again, the network connection and Mail were a little time consuming I'm glad I did because I'm experiencing much better performance from my iPad now.

Thanks for the update and enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts