What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem trying to update to ios 5

Basha3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
trying to update ipad 1 from ios 4 to 5 via itunes and want to transfer and backup files beforehand so i dont lose anything, but keep getting error message saying I don't have enough access privileges to perform this function. If i go ahead and update to ios 5 will I lose all my photos, contacts, etc. Is there a way to update without going thru itunes?

OP
B

Basha3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ANYONE out there have any insight to this problem? I didn't think I'd have problems with Apple products, but Itunes just doesn't seem to play nice. Really want to update to ios 5 and NOT LOSE any photos, contacts, etc.....Is this asking too much? Someone please guide me to the answer!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can't backup the iPad without using iTunes. You also can't update to iOS 5.1.1 from iOS 4.x without iTunes. So, let's see...

It sounds as if you have a permissions issue with your computer and iTunes. To make a backup, iTunes makes a folder within your computer and sticks the backup in there. If you don't have your computer's permissions set up right, that may be preventing iTunes from creating that folder. Realize, of course, that this is my SWAG, here.

Do you have the most recent copy of iTunes? If not, get the most recent from Apple and, when you go to run the set-up, run it as Administrator. That might help your permissions.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully, someone else will come along and add more to this (if downloading iTunes didn't help). Sorry, but that's all I've got...

Marilyn

Limelight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are close to an Apple store take your IPad there and they should be able to assist you.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
trying to update ipad 1 from ios 4 to 5 via itunes and want to transfer and backup files beforehand so i dont lose anything, but keep getting error message saying I don't have enough access privileges to perform this function. If i go ahead and update to ios 5 will I lose all my photos, contacts, etc. Is there a way to update without going thru itunes?

Have you checked if you have enough disk space available, if your iPad is full and it is a 16GB , you need that amount free or more on your pc or Mac to do a backup and also to download the new iOS.

OP
B

Basha3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to backup ipad via iTunes, at least it seemed to work. It's when I want to transfer purchased items that I get the message "you don't have enough access privileges to perform this". I think iTunes will allow me to update ios, but i'm afraid of losing all my photos, contacts, apps, etc. I have the most recent copy of iTunes, but maybe I'll try to download again as Admin. Thanks for suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts