What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem: some pictures in Photo Album display as blank; some show fine; all Synced

JohnMemphis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently Synced a lot of pictures to my original iPad, using several folders in Windows Explorer, which translated perfectly into Photo Albums. The problem now is that some of the pictures in some of the albums show up fine in the thumbnails at the bottom of the display pane, but the picture itself shows as blank/black.

Can anyone help with what might be causing this problem and how to fix it?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why it's happened but give these steps a try-
Do the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now. if not a restart is in order.

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will start again. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running smoothly. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

When your iPad begins to behave strangely these are the first steps you should do to rectify it. Let us know how you go, good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

JohnMemphis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo Display Problem - netiher Restart nor Reset corrected the problem

This is an original iPad1 which isn't running IOS 5 yet, so the four finger swipe isn't supported. Is there a way to see what apps are running without using that gesture? (Frankly, after reading the complaints about not being able to rotate pictures with IOS 5, I'm not sure I want to upgrade to it.)

I tried Resetting, then Restoring. Neither action resulted in a fix.

To be little more expansive in my description of the problem:
  • All photos were synced from a master folder on my computer
  • Photos on the computer were in several sub-folders and they translated to Albums on the iPad just fine
  • Now, when I open an album, I see the thumbnails of the pics just fine. When I double tap to view full-screen, that picture shows up just fine - usually. But when I start swiping to view more, within 1-3 swipes the screen goes blank.
  • I can exit out of fullscreen and still see the thumbnails just fine.
  • I can also see the tiny thumbnails in the filmstrip at the bottom just fine. But when I tap them, most just show blank. One or two will usually display.
Any other suggestions?

In searching the forums, I don't find that anyone else has reported this problem. Surely I can't be the only one to experience it...

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The multi task bar can also be accessed by double pressing the home button, sorry I should have included that piece of info. Yes you should definitely close all your apps and if you have never done it you may be surprised at how many apps are loaded here. This may also be the answer to your problem. An iPad only has 256mb of ram compared to the ipad2 which has 512mb. Closing all your apps should help clear ram as well as making your iPad less prone to problems arising with the apps themselves. Close these apps and let us know if you still have photos not displaying properly.

OP
J

JohnMemphis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double Pressing the Home Button doesn't work

I only get the Search page when double pressing the Home button. The iOS version is 3.2.2 - probably old enough that this particular feature wasn't included.

I'm guessing the only alternative is to reset to factory condition and then resync everything.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JohnMemphis said:
I only get the Search page when double pressing the Home button. The iOS version is 3.2.2 - probably old enough that this particular feature wasn't included.

I'm guessing the only alternative is to reset to factory condition and then resync everything.

My you are on an early Version, I wonder if the apps are closing completely at all. And you don't want to upgrade? Your idea may be the only way forward. I'm hoping someone else will chime in here who knows something! Good luck, let us know how you go.

Reaction score
It's the same for iPad 2 on iOS 5

Hi leelai,

I may not know who you are, but I definitely empathise with your problem as I also have had the same problem with the Photos App on my own iPad 2 (and something similar on my iPhone 4S).

On the iPad 2 in "Albums" view, some of the albums showed up with their names at the bottom, but without their thumbnails. (the "Photos" view was unaffected.) The affected albums were not particular albums, but rather they were always the ones that happened to be:

- on the top row, the one on the far right
- on the second row, the two on the right hand side
- on the bottom row, the second from left as well as the two on the right hand side

It did not matter what the album name was, nor how many photographs or what sort of photographs were within; the albums in those positions were always affected. Furthermore, this problem always happened when the iPad 2 was in landscape position, and at the top of the scrolling window (if there are more than 12 photo albums). Portrait view remained unaffected, as did if there were less than four photo albums.

I did everything you did -- restart, reset, erase, set up as new iPad, everything. Nothing seemed to work.

What made things worse for me was that it was an iPad 2, with a very high ram of 512; and it was running on the latest version of iOS 5 at the time. I had not installed any untrustworthy apps. You could essentially my iPad 2 was close to factory condition. But the problem persisted no matter what I did, and it really annoyed me so much that I erased it and sold it to a friend who needed it more.

I got myself a new iPhone 4S in place of the iPad 2, and synced it with a completely clean computer, and a Mac at that; however after a couple of months from being brand new, something similar happened on the iPhone 4S -- which usually happened upon syncing new photos, be it from the iPhoto app or from a self-created folder, it was always the same -- this problem was relative to some photos not being synced up until after two or more syncs. In some cases, the photos were not properly synced, and ended up looking like another photo, usually one immediately adjacent. However there was no "disappearing thumbnails" issue this time.

Until today I have no idea what caused that problem. All I know is that on non-Apple devices (such as Nokia or Ericsson mobile phones for example), there is this virus known as "scripter" (or something like that... pls correct me if I'm wrong) which does something very similar -- it plays around with your photos, such as making them either appear blank or look like another (usually adjacent) picture upon thumbnail view. In more severe cases, it even plays around with your contact numbers. But I have never heard of such a thing on an OS as secure as Apple's iOS. It might be an iOS flaw in my opinion but I really cannot comment for sure as I am no technician.

Does anyone also have any idea as to the cause of / remedy for this iOS issue?

Most reactions

Latest posts