What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem applying Zagg Invisible Shield

firmament

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found it impossible to position the Invisible Shield for placement onto my iPad. I followed all the steps but when it came time to apply it, I just couldn't get the protector positioned correctly.

Does anyone have tips on how to do this?

Otherwise I'll just continue to go without a screen protector.

dhanchey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a lot of that spray stuff, put it on both sides of the shield and on my hands. That made it slippery and I was able to scoot it where I wanted it.

Also, I used a plastic kitchen tool to get the bubbles out. It's about four inches long and three inches wide. I use it to clean flour off my counter. Worked very well for getting the bubbles out.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly what dhanchey said.

1. Find a clean workspace, let everyone else know to leave you alone for the next 30-45 mins, wash your hands thoroughly, dry them, clean your iPad surface until all the visible specks are gone.

2. Then wet your fingers with the Zagg solution, get the InvisibleShield and wet it on both sides, and it should be quite straightforward to position the protective sheet when sufficiently lubricated. Apply the solution liberally (but take care you don't leak into the device itself!). If you run low, just refill it with water (per Zagg's instructions from their website.)

3. Use a squeegee or cloth to press out all the bubbles, and allow it to dry out.

I've done Zagg Invisibleshields for both iPhone and iPad, and didn't have much problems with it and it wasn't as troublesome as some reports made it out to be. (Not for me, anyway.)

ZAGGchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the advice from tzimisce. One other thing that I might add is that since the iPad is so large. It helps to ask a friend to assist you with the alignment of the invisibleSHIELD. Some customers can do it alone without problems, but we recommend having another set of hands to help with that step. Make sure you friend wets their fingers as well.

Another important thing I want to point out is with the SHIELDspray. You can refill the bottle with water, as mentioned above, but do not do this more then 3 times. There is enough residue on the bottle that filling it about 3/4 full with water 3 times it should work as the SHEILDspray would. I do not recommend doing this more then 3 times though.

Did your invisibleSHIELD get damaged at all during the installation process? If so shoot me an email with your order number and I will get a new one sent out to you ASAP.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything in the future.

ZAGGchick

ZAGGchick(at)zagg.com

photocat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I paid someone at Best Buy to do it for me. He said, "this isn't hard" and i said "perhaps. But after trying to put a shield on a wacom cinitz monitor i wasn't in any mood. It took him over 20 minutes and he knew what he was doing.

ALtho, i am fairly handy, (simple home repairs, serious darkroom building) i would have made a mess of the whole thing.

It was well worth the 12 dollars

Davidmacpherson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was the first ever screen protector I have ever applied to any of my electronic gadgets and I found it a total breeze to apply.

I did have a slight panic when pulling the film off the backing material when I managed to get it stuck to itself but it did pull apart (relatively easily) and all was well.

I used a GOOD covering of the supplied wetting solution and it was much to my surprise really easy to slide it into position. I used a credit card to squeeze the excess solution out.

Totally delighted with this and have no hesitation in saying I would buy this again.

David

OP
firmament

firmament

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, esp. Zaggchick. It's not practical for me to get sent a replacement so I'll just go without a cover.

Fairfieldwizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also amazed that the small bubbles I couldn't get out did indeed vanish by themselves after a few days. But don't put an otterbox defender on your iPad with this thing on because you'll never get the defender off (as far as i can tell).

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen a number of comments that some installations of Zagg InvisibleShield do have the "orange-peel effect" (look it up in Wiki), although it isn't an issue with mine. I suspect it is related to how it was initially installed (some users clearly have more of a challenge installing it than others.)

ZAGGchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The orange peel effect is very common. It is caused by the self healing Nano-technology that is exclusive to the invisibleSHIELD. It helps to heal minor scratches on its own. Some people notice it more then others do.

bushml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have applied Zagg invisibleSHIELD to two Blackberries, two iPods, a Garmin Nuvi 780 and now my iPad. The iPad was by far the most challenging install of the bunch. I did a front screen and back install and it took much more time and patience than installing all the small pieces around the exterior of the Blackberry Curves. The mere size of the sheets made it almost impossible to manage without kinks or folds. As ZAGGchick suggests in a previous posting, it might be advantageous to have someone assist. I was disappointed with the install for the first few days because no matter what I attempted, the tiny bubbles I missed were present. In fact, I toyed with and researched methods to remove the shield. After about three or four days, voila, the bubbles dissipated on their own and the install looks pretty darned good. Be patient, take your time with the install and let the small bubbles work their way out and you can do this installation without a hitch.

Most reactions

Latest posts