What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing on brother printer from ipad2

hutch26.2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a Brother multi purpose printer that is supposed to print from mobile devices and it works wirelessly from my laptop but not from my ipad2. Does anyone know how to do this. My model # is MFC - j835dw.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you'll get a better response.

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just bought a Brother multi purpose printer that is supposed to print from mobile devices and it works wirelessly from my laptop but not from my ipad2. Does anyone know how to do this. My model # is MFC - j835dw.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

The iPad can print via AirPrint to a COMPATIBLE printer - your printer is not on the list - check HERE for more information on this Apple technology and a list of printers that will work.

Now there are ways around this problem and a number of solutions may be offered - for myself w/ a Cannon Pixma printer attached to a PC XP Windows computer, I went w/ a program called FingerPrint (info HERE) recommended on the forum - basically for $10, you'll need to install a small program onto your computer which is attached to the printer; all will need to be on the same Wi-Fi network; computer & printer need to be on - has worked w/o a problem for me - good luck!

M

moparherb

Giardman thank you. I downloaded "FingerPrint" to my p/c and I can now print to both of my HP non wireless printers from my iPad 1. The only issue I have is it does not seem to automatically start when my computer boots up. I haven't paid he $10.00 yet but I will soon if it keeps working like it does tonight. Thanks or your advise.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
moparherb said:
Giardman thank you. I downloaded "FingerPrint" to my p/c and I can now print to both of my HP non wireless printers from my iPad 1. The only issue I have is it does not seem to automatically start when my computer boots up. I haven't paid he $10.00 yet but I will soon if it keeps working like it does tonight. Thanks or your advise.

Glad that the program works for you! I leave my computer on so that the icon is in the system tray; if the icon is not present, then go to your programs in the 'Start Menu' and find FingerPrint - give it a click and see if the icon appears in your system tray; if so you should be ready to print!

I've not rebooted my DT in a while, so not sure if FingerPrint is automatically loaded into the system tray - it should be; if not for you, then contact their support - please let us know your results - good luck! :)

ebrig1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hutch,

I had the same problem with the same printer (brother MFC-J835DW) and was extremely frustrated reading forum reply after forum reply like the one giradman gave. It IS a freakin' COMPATIBLE printer!!!!!! The way we fixed our AirPrint problem was to go to the Brother Solutions Center website and download the latest firmware update (released 12/26/11) for the printer. Problem solved - iPad2 and iPhone now find printer and print. Hope this helps - would supply you with a link to the site, but I can't post a link until I have 3 or more posts!!!!

Good Luck

Kazza15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi eBrig1,
Thanks for that info, have same printer and it worked once through iBooks then I couldn't get it to work again! I only installed printer early Jan so assume it has the latest firmware & still not working , but will check. I have a second question - it says in book to choose either wireless or wired I.e. only use it one way - does anyone have it wired to PC but use it wirelessly (PC off) - @ moment only have it wireless but problems printing e-mails from iPad as says it can't find printer.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the newest os update pretty much toasted a lot of printing unless you had air print compatible printer.... but as mentioned above just install finger print on your computer..air print is great tho as you do not have to have a computer running with a printer attached to it

Most reactions

Latest posts