What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from new IPAD on the move

brian3ansell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Have a new IPad and want to be able to print when I am in customers houses. The only printing I can find seems to require printer and IPad to share a network. What I really want is a battery powered printer that will fit in a case and be able to print direct to it. Is this beyond the brains of Apple or am I the only person with this need?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple don't make printers, so it is more the printer manufacturers to see the need and fill it. That being said, I do recall reading in some of these threads that there are certain models that create their own wifi network, which is one step in the right direction. They may have been some HP models, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Battery powered may be the breaking point, but you could get a set-up happening in your car/van using an inverter and extra battery set-up like caravaners and 4wd'ers use.

Masabahnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to this not sure if in the right area, I would like to print from my I pad 2 to my hp photosmart wireless B109 how do I set this up.

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like you are getting some help....

Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
iPad Games
iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur

denverpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This guy has an interesting workaround for the general lack of the industry making a truly portable AirPrint printer.

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/2012/01/getting-ipad-to-talk-to-h470.html

And the techy details of how to connect the devices....

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/2011/09/printing-from-ipad-iphone-and-ipod.html

He's putting the portable printer into Ad-Hoc WiFi mode (not all printers, and even fewer portable printers, will do this)...

Then connecting the iPad to that Ad-Hoc network (which means you won't get e-mail or have access to Dropbox, etc once connected to the Printer's WiFi network...

Then using HP's printing App (free in the App store, and works on more than just AirPrint printers, but has the limitation that if a document reader App does not have an "Open this document in... <another App> button, there's no way to get the document to HPs printing App unless it's one of the native iOS items, like Photos, which the HP App has direct access to the Photo albums...

Some have pointed out that ipad3 has hotspot capability and the printer may work just connected to the hotspot WiFi network the iPad generates.

Other options include bigger non-portable but small(ish) AirPrint printers and a power inverter for automotive use.

Even HPs latest mobile printer model doesn't support AirPrint but probably works with their App with above noted limitations.

Most reactions

Latest posts