What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from iPad 2 - problems

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was printing quite happily from my i-pad 2 to my .HP1102W. I hadn't even done anything to set it up, that I remember. I didn't even need to switch the printer on.

Then I moved to my other house. There I have an HP2540. I could still print from the iPad but it was relatively cumbersome. Every document I print I have to go to Settings, switch out of my network and switch into the printers network, after which switch out of that (I always forget) and back into my iPad's network to use Safari or whatever.

Now back in the old house things have changed. It doesn't print automatically without these manipulations like before. In settings there is a new bar called 'devices' and it seems to know about HP though not the model. When I try even the long proceedure above it fails to find an air printer.

I did manage to find it once today and print a page - I don't know how. I would like to be able to make both printers (1) work (2) preferably in the immediate fashion the 1102W did before (3) every time.

How?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted the other post you made on this same topic. Duplicate posts can fragment any resulting conversation, making it hard to follow. They're also against our rules.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I need to be able to print though,retry basic standard necessity. Ipad instructions I have seen talk as if it happens automatically (as it used to).

When I click on "device" it tells me my HP is not connected to the internet, do I want to proceed anyway? I say yes. I just want it connected with my iPad don't I? And anyway it is not giving me another option.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If restarting the printer, router, and iPad haven't solved the problem I recommend finding your printer manual. It should have instructions on how to set up Air Print.

If you've already done that, perhaps the manufacturer's site has a support page for your printer and Air Print.

I have an HP, but it's too old to support AirPrint, so I run Printopia on my iMac. I can print to any printer the Mac can see, and folders to boot. The down side is that the Mac has to be running. OPrint is a similar app for Windows.

If you go that route, you'll still need to dig into the manual, to find out how to turn off AirPrint; to make sure the printer doesn't start showing up twice.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have been printing to the HP via direct because the HP has its own hot spot wi fi. If you have s wifi network I would set up the printer on the same net work ok

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have been printing to the HP via direct because the HP has its own hot spot wi fi. If you have s wifi network I would set up the printer on the same net work ok

Thanks I wonder if there is an easy way to do this based on the fact it now half works. I found on the wi fi screen I had to enable "ask to join networks". And I think clicking "auto join" and "renew lease" did something. Then if I hit on the right order of doing things things it finds the printer and prints - then I have to find the way back. Very tedious and unsure. Is there a simple way to "set up the printer on the same network"? Is it an HP problem or a (to me equally mysterious) my network problem?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Let us make it simple. Please list what you have on your network ie. Model number of modem, router printer(s) and any thing else. Do you have a manual for the printer? I am getting a little confused about different houses so this will make it easier to assist you.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Let us make it simple. Please list what you have on your network ie. Model number of modem, router printer(s) and any thing else. Do you have a manual for the printer? I am getting a little confused about different houses so this will make it easier to assist you.

The modem is called
NETGEAR 108 Mbps SupernWireless ADSL Modem Router DG834GT
Printer is HP Laserjet P1102w

It was working wirelessly from my I-pad and also from my computer before I went away from home base for a couple of months and I don't think anyone touched it. Now it is not working from the computer , and from the iPad only with the difficult contortions described above.
I do not have a printed HP manual.
Yes I have had a bit of a look at HP stuff. I feel I shall enter a dark wood,.. Would not want to try reinstall...
I did have a try with HP's printer doctor, it could not detect the printer. Which IS switched on.
Having it work with the iPad is greater priority than with the computer which is on its deathbed while I decide what to replace it with - if anything.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found it, more or less. I thought it had to be something relatively trivial because of the way it quarter-worked - permanent newbies like me can stay stuck for a long time on things like this.

I anyone had said "check your networks" I would not have known what they meant or what to do. But that's what I did. However did it from my computer, I don't know if there is a way to do it from the iPad which I was mainly using.

It is something I always did from time to time (without knowing it was called that) because I lose connection when starting up sometimes and nothing much works. The thing that shows your wireless and often a few neighbours. I had actually never noticed before it now shows the HP. Can't believe it was there before, I don't recognise the icon as anything seen before.

A thing I had not realised is that while my network shows up as protected the HP printer does not.
Is this a weakness versus nosy neighbours or hackers? :(

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the printer is unlocked. Would you like the printer on your main wifi network?
Do I understand right it would then be private and at present isn't? Then yes.
In my other house where I didn't have a computer, for all printing (with a new cheap HP2540 I had to switch wifi network for every print and then back for any other use of the iPad. Is there a way to unite them to make printing easier?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will down load the manual and send instructions to you. The direct to printer wifi is designed for users whom do not have wifi. The printer has its own wifi hot spot built in in addition it can be on the main wifi network Please give me time to sort this for yu

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no issue having the printer open on a wifi network. One would only be able to print which means they would have to enter your property to get the prints.

Most reactions

Latest posts