What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Print without Wi-Fi? I have HP Deskjet 3050A & Windows XP PC with Verizon air card.

CrookedRiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm buying an iPad 4th generation with 4G cellular connectivity.

I want to print using my HP Deskjet 3050A or my Deskjet 812c which are connected directly via USB to my Windows XP PC.

I do not have a Wi-Fi wireless network. I do not have a wired network.

My iPad connects to the internet via 4G cellular, and my Windows PC connects to the internet via a Verizon cellular air card.

Please advise. Thanks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doesn't that model have eprint? Isn't that suppose to give you some web printing features? Have you investigated that?

OP
C

CrookedRiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but as far as I can tell ePrint requires Wi-Fi. Is that not so? Thanks.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know. I got the impression that it might not but I am not sure. I'm not sure if this cannot be done over the Internet via cellular. But iPad generally like wifi and Internet. I have not tied to print something when I am out and about on LTE. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with some ideas for you.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend the hp printers that have wifi DIRECT as they do not require a wifi network works great with and iOS device using AirPrint

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

OP
C

CrookedRiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would recommend the hp printers that have wifi DIRECT as they do not require a wifi network works great with and iOS device using AirPrint

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Excellent! I did not know that such such a thing as wifi direct existed. Some online ads selling the Deskjet 3050A claim that "wireless direct" is a feature -- that you can print directly from an iPad without a wifi router -- but the Deskjet 3050A manual does not mention it. I'll keep digging to see if it is possible.

Thanks!

Dgilchri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the HP product spec :- HP Deskjet 3050A e-All-in-One Printer (CR231B) | HP® United Kingdom
HP printers like this can serve their own WiFi network printing over AirPrint and you don't need any more hardware to print from iOS devices - many people don't seem to realise this.
However, one potential snag is that the printer's wifi may disable itself while connected via USB to the PC ( I know my Lexmark WiFi printer does this).

OP
C

CrookedRiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the HP product spec :- HP Deskjet 3050A e-All-in-One Printer (CR231B) | HP® United Kingdom
HP printers like this can serve their own WiFi network printing over AirPrint and you don't need any more hardware to print from iOS devices - many people don't seem to realise this.
However, one potential snag is that the printer's wifi may disable itself while connected via USB to the PC ( I know my Lexmark WiFi printer does this).
Awesome! Thank you very much!

Most reactions