What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Print/save to PDF

Rodgman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding why it's such a hassle to print or save to a PDF file from my iPad (I have the original iPad with iOS 5 installed). I see that there are a number of apps available that claim to make the process easy, but after reviewing them and actually purchasing one, I beg to differ. Who wants to go to the trouble of copying and pasting url addresses into customized browsers in order to accomplish what should be a simple little task. Why can't I print to a virtual PDF print driver, like I can easily do on my PC with any one of a number of free utilities? I haven't been able to find any info or explanation for this apparently complicated task anywhere on the Internet. Is this another example of Apple exercising control over it's user base? If so, shame on Apple. Anyone know how I can quickly print or save to a PDF without having to wrestle with some poorly written third party app that claims to do more than it can deliver (and is promoted by bogus user reviews)?

Debra_k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would also like to know of away to create a PDF file.

When I pay bills on line I have been printing the receipt as a PDF on my laptop and saving in an accounts paid directory. Is such a thing available on iPad ?

rjl1100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Debra_k said:
I would also like to know of away to create a PDF file.

When I pay bills on line I have been printing the receipt as a PDF on my laptop and saving in an accounts paid directory. Is such a thing available on iPad ?

I also print to PDF when paying bills etc and was able to use the app print2pdf. The option was included on the select printer button. With ios 5.00 and 5.01 this option was removed. Now the program now requires you to add the letter Z in the address bar. The program then opens print2PDF where you can save the file.

OP
R

Rodgman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it appears that the upgrade to iOS 5 has disabled any third party print drivers. It looks like only "air printers" can be selected now. There must be a reason for this change, but I have no idea at this point what it is. I'm sure the truth will come out eventually. Seems like another example of Apple exercising control over the iPad environment to the detriment of the end user.

catsaway9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We used the Print to PDF app, but it "disappeared" when we upgraded to iOS 5. It was no longer in the App store, even in my "purchased apps" section. I finally found a notice on the Print to PDF website that says,

"We received a call from Apple Developer Relations telling us that we are not allowed to use AirPrint as a way to print documents to PDF and that for this reason the app could no longer be available on the App Store. The news came as a surprise to us given that the app had been reviewed and approved 3 times already by the Apple App Review Team."

It goes on to say that they're looking to either come to an agreement with Apple, or find a different technical solution, but the letter was dated back in August so it doesn't look as though much has happened. Clearly Apple is restricting developer access to AirPrint, but why? If they're not going to let anyone else use it, they should at least come up with a pdf printer of their own.

I agree, printing to a pdf shouldn't be so complicated!

Most reactions

Latest posts