What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help! Igotya app from cydia stuck me in SAFE MODE. iPad 2

Danrowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first time here. Usually if and when I have any kind of iOS problem I figure it out myself, but this time I'm in a mess!!! And really need help.
So 3 days ago on my JB 4.3.3 iPad 2 I was reading in flipboards Engadget section 2011's top tweaks in cydia. One of them was "igotya". The app that sets a 4 digit code for when you open your device and if the wrong code is entered a picture, and GPS are taken then sent via text, and email to your phone to catch any thiefts that may take your apple device. After it was installed I purposely entered the wrong code to test it out. It did as it said. It emailed me. Then I went back into settings and added the text service to. Purposely put in the wrong code again. Then I put in the correct code. But this time around it wiped out my emails,* pictures, and went into SAFE MODE.
I've done everything to getbit out of safe mode. Respring it, turn off/on, soft shut down, hard shut down, (holding both buttons for 20 seconds, then when it came back on safe mode again held them for 30 seconds)
I went back into Cydia and uninstalled the "igotya" app. Still nothing.
I feel my pictures, and emails and all settings are hiding somewhere behind this igotya app. Am I doomed? Do I have to connect to iTunes and bite the iOS 5.1 bullet?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Danrowan.

I'm not fully versed on igotya, but if I understand it correctly you probably had "security mode" enabled but did not have the app correctly synced with the iPad passcode. Various forums seem to report users with a similar issue, but no clear way to resolve without a restore :(

The good news is, assuming you have 4.3.3 blobs since you have been jailbroken since day 1, you can now use TinyCFW to restore 4.3.3 on your iPad2. See the tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-restore-4-3-3-ipad2-3g-saved-shsh-blobs.html

I'll also move both your threads into the appropriate sections if you don't mind?

Good luck.

Last edited:

PictureTrivia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This too happened to me. My girlfriend decided to guess the password a couple of times and the phone went into the "Secure Mode". I tried everything to get it out. When I would guess the password wrong, I would hear my email notification pop up on my phone, but the iGotYa app would hide my actual email accounts! So, I knew my data was still on the iPhone, but just hidden. I tried entering the correct password, but the iGotya still kept me locked out. Very frustrating.

SOLUTION!!!

I really hope this helps someone else.

1. Open iExplorer with your iPhone Connected.
2. Private/Var/mobile/Library/Caches/igotya
3. Save your files from media if you want them.

A more advanced user may be able to restore all of the files to their correct locations to fix this bug. I just wanted my media off the phone, so I saved that and restored.

If you want to access your iPhone's apps, you can open SBSettings and Power off in "Safe Mode". When you restart the phone your apps will be there, but your personal things like photos and messages are still hidden. If you don't have SBSettings on your phone you can install it or any other cydia apps via PC with a program called Cyder 2.

GOODLUCK!

hishiryo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi !
I wanted to test igotya for my ipad2 and I had the same issue. When I removed igotya from cydia, I didn't recover my preferences, applications and personal data.

Improved solution, without restore !

1) iPad: install openssh from cydia
2) Mac: open a terminal (use putty if you have window$)
3) Connect your iPad with ssh (ssh root@wifi-ip-of-your-ipad), the default password is 'alpine'
4) change the password with the passwd command
5) go to the folder where igotya moved your data (cd /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/igotya)
6) when I list the folder with ls I had the following subfolders : AddressBook ; Calendar ; Mail ; Notes ; SpringBoard ; apps ; failsafe ; media ; prefs

7) use mv or rsync to move the files to their original directory

mv Calendar/* /private/var/mobile/Library/Calendar/
mv Mail/* /private/var/mobile/Library/Mail/
mv Notes/* /private/var/mobile/Library/Notes/
mv SpringBoard/* /private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/

mv prefs/* /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
>> mv: cannot move `prefs/Springtomize' to `../../Preferences/Springtomize': Directory not empty
when I got this errors I did :
mv prefs/Springtomize/* /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Springtomize/

mv media/* /private/var/mobile/Media/

mv media/PhotoData/* ../../../Media/PhotoData/
mv media/PhotoData/Thumbnails/* ../../../Media/PhotoData/Thumbnails/

mv media/iTunes_Control/* ../../../Media/iTunes_Control/
mv media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/* ../../../Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/

mv prefs/* /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
mv apps/Applications /private/var/mobile/

etc …

The failsave file was empty, so I just removed it

After that, just reboot your iPad and the problem is fixed.

WARNING :
mv * doesn't move hidden files starting with a dot, but rsync does. Then I used rmdir to remove all directory of the igotya folder and be sure that there is no missing files.
I prefer mv to cp -r because I do not have lot of free space on my iPad and cp doesn't copy dates and permission.
I would have preferred to use 'rsync -av --remove-source-files source target' but I didn't see it was available on cydia

csi02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here

HY Hishiryo, i have the same problem with exit from safe mode on iphone 5 ios 6.1.2

Can you please a little bit explain what i have to do to transfer this files with mv or rsync, because i'm not familiar with this
And what have you made with the igotya?
Thx a lot

Last edited:

denmary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
got stuck with rsync commands

hi Hishiryo,

Untitled.jpg

I got into the folder of igotya as you can see in the picture attached but as i am an amateur with rsync commands i got stuck with it.. could you please guide me on how to use rsync instead of mv, to retrieve hidden folders ( apps/ media/ prefs)?? Actually, i guess it needs the hiddden folders to be moved to original directories but cannot understand how to do this exactly.

at this stage that i am into the igotya folder as in the attached picture, which command should i use to move and NOT copy (as i don't have enough remaining space on iPhone) after
'Dionisis-iPhone:/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/igotya root# ' to retrieve, for example, prefs???

Thanks in advance.

P.S. In WinSCP folders in iPhone look like this. i really don't know why there is a shortcut icon on folder 'Applications'..

Untitled 2.jpg

csi02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all i wanna thanks for Hishiryo for this tutorial, because save me from restore,or for losing JB, i wanna say sorry for moderator for my double post and for Denmary, i wanna tell you that you must take all the steps what is in the Hishiryo tutorial. You must tipe all exactly! Can you use mv like in tutorial because don't affect your memory. One more time follow exact all the steps and you can do this and remove your stuck in recoverry safe mode!
For recover your prefs for exemple you have to do so: mv prefs/* private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/, but don' t forget you must be in igotya folder and use Putty, no WinScp. I highly recomand you to start from bigining, and take all steps to transfer all you data from igotya folder to your Idevice!

Good luck and thx Hishiryo one more time!!!

Last edited:

Nerri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sir i am also i victim of igotya app, i dOnt know what will i do just to have all my files and my old iphone back to normal, it seems it is useless now. Igotya keep me feom viewing my files, how can I revive my iphone 4? Pleasse help me

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sir i am also i victim of igotya app, i dOnt know what will i do just to have all my files and my old iphone back to normal, it seems it is useless now. Igotya keep me feom viewing my files, how can I revive my iphone 4? Pleasse help me

Have you tried to fix it following the steps outlined in the posts above? That seems to be the only thing to try. Otherwise, you are facing a restore.

Marilyn

I deleted your other thread you started today on this same topic. Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

Nerri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also dont have cydia sir :( it was also missing, but all my tweaks were still functional, but there icons were also hidden. How can i first downloaded cydia on my iphone? Or simply can retriee it first so I could follow the above steps. Sorry if I have lots of questions, I just dont really know what to do here :((

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also dont have cydia sir :( it was also missing, but all my tweaks were still functional, but there icons were also hidden. How can i first downloaded cydia on my iphone? Or simply can retriee it first so I could follow the above steps. Sorry if I have lots of questions, I just dont really know what to do here :((

What actions did you take to "remove" the Cydia icon from your device, or what did you do to end up with the icons missing.

Nerri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i open the iphone from being shut down, the cydia icon is just missing and also the setting. I just tried if the igotya application will work. After my 3x wrong password input, the iphone just crashed and all my pics, contacts, personal stuffs, applications already missing or hidden. I just want to recover all my applications, pictures etc to my iphone :(

Most reactions

Latest posts