What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pleasantly satisfied with iBooks - any reason to get another alternative (paid) app?

KiddToKmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my question is a bit different from "which is the best ebook/epub reader" which has been covered many times on this forum.

I'm pretty happy and comfortable reading most .epub files in Sepia mode. It's however usually true that you don't know what else is out there until you wet your feet; case being Terra (the browser, got pulled) vs Atomic. There are just so many bells and whistles Atomic has that Terra never did, and because I was happy with Terra, I never considered Atomic until the former got pulled.

What i'm trying to ask is, is there any other PDF / .epub reader out there with better functionality or usability than iBooks, in your opinion? I love iBooks' small things: the fact that it LOOKS like a visual book (seeing the pages on the right margin, page-turn animations, etc) so that is a factor.

Would appreciate opinions - cheers :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might be worth downloading the Kindle app - it's free and you get a couple of complimentary books too, so you can see what it's like. The big advantage is that Amazon/Kindle have a far bigger range of books than iBooks.

Tim

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for Kindle... I never understood why Apple thought wasting screen space on fake pages that don't even reflect where you are in the text was a good idea.

I also recommend Stanza, which I've used since I got my iPod touch 2nd gen years ago.

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a nook,so I use the nook app.I go from reading the nook,to the iPad back and forth.I love e ink for reading.I love my iPad but I'm fearing serious eye strain for the amount of time I do read:( Now if they made an e ink app......lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the kindle app,I get some free e books n 99 cent ebooks I love from kindle.I also love now kindle gives you more samp,e tl download before buying.I do have some ebooks on my iBooks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can one install the books that are on IBook with Kindle? Or will they double the memory used?

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can one install the books that are on IBook with Kindle?
No. Kindle can only be used to read Kindle books bought from Amazon.

If the OP is just looking for another app to handle pdf files, GoodReader is better and more vesatile than iBooks, IMO.

Most reactions