What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing videos on a website from iPad Pro memory

KHristhy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Is there any way to play a video on a website form the iPad?
The problem is, I made a webpage video gallery with 16 videos hosted on a server, but when I want to play one of them, usually take too long to load, so I wonder if there is any way to store the videos directly on the tablet and play on a site from iPad memory (without leaving that webpage of course).
First of all I don't know the path of the video from ipad so I can try if it works if anyone can help (src="what_is_the_path/video.mp4").
Second, is it possible?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand what you are asking for.

You want to host and play a website locally on the iPad, including the media content. Only local site playback is needed. You are not expecting the iPad to host a site that can be accessed over the internet.

If that is the case, I can’t offer much hope. At one time I had an app that would run a website locally, but it worked poorly, especialy for imbeded media. I don’t know of anything that will do this now.

If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps someone can come up with a way to do it that doesn’t involve a local webpage. Maybe a presentation app or other content creationa will do the job better.

OP
K

KHristhy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand what you are asking for.

You want to host and play a website locally on the iPad, including the media content. Only local site playback is needed. You are not expecting the iPad to host a site that can be accessed over the internet.

If that is the case, I can’t offer much hope. At one time I had an app that would run a website locally, but it worked poorly, especialy for imbeded media. I don’t know of anything that will do this now.

If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps someone can come up with a way to do it that doesn’t involve a local webpage. Maybe a presentation app or other content creationa will do the job better.

I want to host only the videos, not all the site, the site will be still on server, and everything works fine, except the videos. That website will be accessed only from one location (a store) and only from an iPad Pro. I want to keep customers in store to watch them, because now they don't have the patience to stay and they leave, loading time is too long. So I want to put on iPad only the videos, and to play them on that site (tablet will be connected all the time to the internet).

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Websites don't work that way, as videos on an iPad do not have a path that can be specified in HTML. I agree with TP, your best bet is probably to embed the videos in a Keynote slideshow that mimics the website.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to host only the videos, not all the site, the site will be still on server, and everything works fine, except the videos. That website will be accessed only from one location (a store) and only from an iPad Pro. I want to keep customers in store to watch them, because now they don't have the patience to stay and they leave, loading time is too long. So I want to put on iPad only the videos, and to play them on that site (tablet will be connected all the time to the internet).

I don’t know of any way to do this. A desktop computer has the abilty, because it can ack as a web host. The iPad has no way to act as a web host. Yes, I know you aren’t expecting the iPad to host the site, but the abilty ot redirct content is still something that requires a device to act as a host, even if the content is local.

I do see two possible solutions to the overall problem.

One would be to host the website on a local computer, instead of a remote servers. This way the website would be served over your local network when you are on that network, but still available on the internet. This is probalby the more expensive solution, since you need both local hardware, a robust network service that can support your traffic, and the expertise to set up the server.

The second soluition is to change how you are serving the videos on your site. It sounds like they are downloading before playing. Instead you need to find out if your website provider has the abiltiy to stream the videos; and if they don’tm consider switching to a provder that will. Given that you are showing the videos on an iPad, you don’t need supper HD videos either. 720 HD will look just as good as 1080 HD on an iPad, and standard might be fine.

If you can do neither of these you could try hosting the videos on YouTube or another video site, and embeding them into your own website. This breaks the experience of hte site somewhat, but gives you streaming at no extra cost. If your connection is still having problems with play times from YouTube, try reducing the quality of the video.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts