What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures, Blogs, and websites...oh my

VJP5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, some background before I get to my situation. I am not only new to the iPad2, but am also just average on the technical side. I do not blog, Facebook, Tweet, etc. I am a PC convert in progress :D

So here is my question - my wife and I are going on a 2 week motorcycle road trip. I plan on bringing my iPad with so that I can download pictures from my camera to it on a regular basis. I have already purchased the camera cable and have practiced downloading them. We want to share these pictures/journal with all of our relatives and friends so that they can follow us along our journey. 70% of this group lives in the PC world, so whatever solution you can come up with, it has to be compatible with both PC's and Apple products. I would prefer to not have them download any software so that it is really easy for the people who are even less tech savvy than I. What's the best/cheapest way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Vince

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would Picasa be acceptable? That's easy to upload pictures to and there's no software needed for your friends and family. We use it all the time.

Tim

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For pictures Photobucket requires you to sign up, but not those whom you e-mail to share the photos. Flicker also does this but has a limit on uploads per month and available to view unless you pay. I also use Walgreen's photo site because prints are so easy to order and share either by mail or store pick-up. I don't know anything about journal sharing.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another nice app to use is Photobucket. You can get a [free] account, login to the app and it will allow you to pull photos from the iPad Photo app to upload to the web site. Then, you select the pictures (or albums) want to share, copy the link and either e-mail them or post them into a web journal (you can either post them on the web as the picture or as a link. You can also just send people to your Photobucket albums, so they can browse themselves.

All you need is an Internet connection. As you can probably tell, Photobucket is what I use, though there are many, many more apps out there.

Good luck in your decision and have fun on your trip!

Marilyn

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maybe dropbox and create a temporary password and share it with them to log in, they can either log in online or a simple download to desktop to log in.

photobucket is first hand.

OP
V

VJP5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have posted. Here's my question on Photobucket, how do you upload pics? When I go to their site on my PC, I get a big green button that says 'Upload Now". When I go there on my iPad, that button is non-existent. What am I missing?

I would still prefer to have something where I can write and post to the same place. But if I can figure out how to upload pics to Photobucket, then I can just create an email mailing list and journal the days activities and then copy the link to that days photos.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have posted. Here's my question on Photobucket, how do you upload pics? When I go to their site on my PC, I get a big green button that says 'Upload Now". When I go there on my iPad, that button is non-existent. What am I missing?

because that green "upload now" is flash supported, and iPad doesn't do flash.
you used your iPad safari browser to do that, in which we were telling you to download/use the iPad app(photobucket, in the app store) to accomplish uploading from iPad photo library.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I would still prefer to have something where I can write and post to the same place. But if I can figure out how to upload pics to Photobucket, then I can just create an email mailing list and journal the days activities and then copy the link to that days photos.

Ah, but Photobucket has a lovely free iPad app. Just download it from the App Store. It makes it really simple to just upload your photos directly from your iPad. I use it all the time! No messing around with pesky websites!

OP
V

VJP5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
because that green "upload now" is flash supported, and iPad doesn't do flash.
you used your iPad safari browser to do that, in which we were telling you to download/use the iPad app(photobucket, in the app store) to accomplish uploading from iPad photo library.

Got it....remember I'm a FORMER PC :D I will get the differences soon

Ah, but Photobucket has a lovely free iPad app. Just download it from the App Store. It makes it really simple to just upload your photos directly from your iPad. I use it all the time! No messing around with pesky websites!

Nice!! I will download the app and start playing with it.

Many thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Picasa (Web Albums for iPad) and Flickr (FlickrStackr) also have excellent apps for managing uploads and albums. Each site and app has it's strengths and weaknesses. Shop around for what fits you best.

Most reactions