What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is horrible...The screen sux and the choppiness is still there like galaxy tab...I guess honeycomb didn't fix it:(
2011-04-05213119.jpg

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Competition

The bean counters have lowered their sales estimates from 400,000 to 300,000 ... that's 25% down. Then a German Bank mentioned that Xoom has sold less than 100,000 in two months. Motorola was blown away with Anandtech's review in graphics. There are very few apps written for the Xoom ... most came from Antroid phones. They haven't delivered the 4G circuits yet, USB doesn't work from what I know ... Perhaps you can update us. Also Flash 10.2 is supposed to be out. How does it look?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played with one this past weekend at Staples. Did it seem heavy to you? And the screen was so dull and gloomy. Maybe it needed to be charged.

There really is no comparison.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen is dark and it is heavy to hold. For $600 ( WIFI model) the choice is clearly the Ipad.

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually really wanted to buy a XOOM, with it's promises of openess and flash support. I spent quite a bit of time on the Motorola's official forums.

First thing that turned me from it was the lack of DRM support. Android prides itself on being open and free, however, it's a nightmare for studios. It's like a city with no cops, in that no one wants to open up shop. Second, the battery life is only about 7 hours in real active usage.

I could've overlooked them and got around those problems. However, I saw one in person and I couldnt get over how bad the screen looks. You can see dark lines between the pixels (as if they were in little grids as opposed to a seemless image.) This is more apparant in gray and white backgrounds. The ironic part of it all was that the Google.com looked terrible.

The big problem with android (I have an android phone) is that google is more concerned about developing new features rather than making existing features work better. In the end, android can do more things than iOS but it seems to do everything half-assed as opposed to polished ecosystem of Apple.

After wasting a few months researching and contemplating getting a WiFi only XOOM, I decided to not pay the early adopter price and ordered an iPad 2.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I played with one this past weekend at Staples. Did it seem heavy to you? And the screen was so dull and gloomy. Maybe it needed to be charged.

I liked the xoom. It did seem heavy after holding the iPad. Not just heavy, but awkward. I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

I liked the xoom. It did seem heavy after holding the iPad. Not just heavy, but awkward. I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

Very awkward. I kept wanting to stretch it!

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's because it's 16x9 as opposed to 4x3 ratio. It's also optimized for landscape viewing. The torque is just a lot more since the device is longer and you hold it farther away from the center of its gravity.

anthony2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for some hardware and software issues the xoom may have a slight edge on the ipad however due to sheer number of apps you would have to be an embicile to choose the xoom. android market is practically nil compared to what you have on the ipad.
it's like buying your groceries at a 7/11 where selection is limited and overpriced vs. a super target where you have everything under the sun (and then some)

OP
S

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one i have is the wifi only..It is alittle heavy but doesn't bother me. I do like the widescreen aspect ratio but the screen is just so horrible it don't matter..It does not feel akward to me and seems built very nice but the screen yuck...The main thing that i feel will still be an issue with the upcoming galaxy 10.1 which will have a great screen is the web browsing,typing,scrolling...it is choppy and not smooth like ipad...I had the galaxy tab and really liked the screen which was brighter and more pop than my ipad but web browsing was horrible even with other browsers....My samsung vibrant does not suffer from this issue...it must have something to do with stretching the os to fit the large screens?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have none of you that purchased the Xoom read that Honeycomb isn't finished yet and that Google basically just patched together what they could so that Motorola could push their sacrificial lamb out before the iPad2 launch? The reason its choppy is that its running a not even beta OS. Its completely buggy. Google will most likely be releasing 3.1 as the true Honeycomb and disavowing any knowledge that 3.0 ever existed, since there is only one device it ever will have touched.

ICEHITMAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I to played with a xoom at the local staples and just flicking from one screen to another was so jumpy, it turned me off from it. Add to the fact that one of the screws that holds it together stick out of the bottom and all of that makes me glad I bought an iPad 2 instead of that POS.

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have none of you that purchased the Xoom read that Honeycomb isn't finished yet and that Google basically just patched together what they could so that Motorola could push their sacrificial lamb out before the iPad2 launch? The reason its choppy is that its running a not even beta OS. Its completely buggy. Google will most likely be releasing 3.1 as the true Honeycomb and disavowing any knowledge that 3.0 ever existed, since there is only one device it ever will have touched.

Well that's a hellava way to make a good first impression.:rolleyes:

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kirwin said:
Well that's a hellava way to make a good first impression.:rolleyes:

It's not uncommon, though. I'm unsure why so many companies do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts