What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos - where's the beef?

thelazydogsback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can be iPad be so bad just at just dealing with photos? -- it should be the perfect photo viewing device.
- Photos (like other media, apparently) can not be copied directly to the device - this means that all scripts, smart sync tools, phto managers, native OS copy, etc., are not available and iTunes must be used to sync.
- iTunes treats photos as 2nd-class objects compared to music - photo meta-data is not used for sync or viewing
- I have digital photos from about 2003 on, about 12,000 pics or so. I've written a script to pre-optimize all these for portable devices, all shrunk to 1024x768 -- iTunes insists on re-opimizing these, increasing the sync time to [who knows - it's been several hours already...]
- Photo browsing is inflexible, and FWICT, Apple limits what 3rd parties can develop in this area.

I was looking forward to the iPad because of it's awsome industrial design - but I think an upcoming android or win7 pad will have to replace it. Do I really want to pay $600 for a crippled device?
Am I missing something? Is "there an app for that"?

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can be iPad be so bad just at just dealing with photos? -- it should be the perfect photo viewing device.
- Photos (like other media, apparently) can not be copied directly to the device - this means that all scripts, smart sync tools, phto managers, native OS copy, etc., are not available and iTunes must be used to sync.
- iTunes treats photos as 2nd-class objects compared to music - photo meta-data is not used for sync or viewing
- I have digital photos from about 2003 on, about 12,000 pics or so. I've written a script to pre-optimize all these for portable devices, all shrunk to 1024x768 -- iTunes insists on re-opimizing these, increasing the sync time to [who knows - it's been several hours already...]
- Photo browsing is inflexible, and FWICT, Apple limits what 3rd parties can develop in this area.

I was looking forward to the iPad because of it's awsome industrial design - but I think an upcoming android or win7 pad will have to replace it. Do I really want to pay $600 for a crippled device?
Am I missing something? Is "there an app for that"?

Don't get me started again.

The $250 Netbook, with a portable hard drive, that I bought a year ago does a much better job.

The only thing that the iPad does better is picture quality when actually viewing photos.

I find it inexplicable that the iPad is so bad for managing photos. It seems that Apple has thrown out everything that they have learned over 30 years.

Last edited:
OP
T

thelazydogsback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Arg. Ok, thanks. I hate returning gifts...

iTunes has also apparently taken what is 6G on disk, and "optmized" it to 11G, leaving me w/5G...

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Arg. Ok, thanks. I hate returning gifts...

iTunes has also apparently taken what is 6G on disk, and "optmized" it to 11G, leaving me w/5G...

Before you send it back, I have found ways to completely avoid using iTunes (which I hate anyway).

I use FileBrowser in association with a network drive to manage my photos (about 80 GB worth) and only actually copy selected photos (that I want to take with me at the time) onto the iPad.

The iPad is still very nice for viewing the photos, using FileBrowser.

When traveling I plan to use the Camera Connection Kit to back up and view my photos. I have just discovered (on this Forum) that when you connect the iPad, photos can be copied off the iPad using normal file copying.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, you should remove the pictures currently in the Camera Roll (Photos), so you won't be duplicating everything.

You need to setup a folder, on your PC under "My Pictures", such as "iPad Pictures" and make all of the folders you want, with the pictures you want in them (copy, move or drag and drop, your choice), under that folder. Then go into iTunes, under PHOTOS and select "Sync Photos from" and change "My Pictures" to "Choose Folder" and then choose the folder you created "iPad Pictures" open it and select the folders you want to sync to he iPad. Then sync them.

If you plan on jailbreaking when the new jailbreak comes out, I recommend PhotoAlbums+, it adds a plus icon to the Photos page, that allows to add folders and pick what you want to move into them. It's what Photos (Camera Roll) should have been in the first place.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just remember that after performing the Sync. The iTune will create an additional folder with the size greater then all your pictures combine.
So be careful from that Crap called iTune+Photo.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just remember that after performing the Sync. The iTune will create an additional folder with the size greater then all your pictures combine.
So be careful from that Crap called iTune+Photo.

It didn't do that on my iPad. I bet you didn't delete the old pictures first, and have duplicates now. My photos took up about 1.3 gb before and about 1.3 after. I'm sure there's some overhead for the folders, but not much.:)

Last edited:

Most reactions