What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos to Icloud

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running version 9.3.4 on my iPad. Apparently my iPad is no longer able to get updates in software. Can you give me step by step instructions for backing up my iPad to iCloud without using iTunes. When I attempted a backup I got a message that iTunes would delete 165 pictures. I don't remember but I must have made a backup using iTunes at sometime. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure your iPad is connected to Wi-Fi, otherwise this won’t be possible.

Open the Settings app, go to iCloud, scroll down to iCloud Backup and select it. Then tap “Back Up Now”.

If this is your very first backup to iCloud, it will take a while until it finishes.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use iCloud Photo Library, this backup won’t include your photos, btw. They are already in iCloud, but not stored there. They are available for syncing to other devices.

If you intend to save your images, use online storage such as Flickr or Google Photos, ..., or import them to your computer.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My post was actually for my neighbor who has no other devices. She has an iPad that she uses for e-mail only as her grandchildren live in Texas and they send her pictures that she does not want to lose. She has backed every time she gets a message to backup but I just saw that there is nothing used in her free 5gb of cloud space. What is she doing wrong?.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe she’s not connected to Wi-Fi when the iPad is charging and locked. Or she uses it while charging. In both cases there will be no automatic backup to iCloud.

If she backed up manually, the backup might never have finished.

Is iCloud Photo Library enabled on her iPad? If so, a backup won’t help saving her images. She has to store them somewhere else.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just another thought: are there 0 GB of the free iCloud storage used, or left?

If your neighbour has lots of images on her iPad, which use up the free 5 GB, that would be the explanation why her device hasn’t been backed up.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help and advice. We did some more research and decided that she would be better off putting her pictures on Google Photos instead of using iCloud.

Most reactions